mccolgan1

chewed up pods

I have sweet peas growing in my garden. and after geting rid of aphids they were growing nicly about 4/6 pods on each plant I had 5.

went down today to find 4 of them with no pods on. 1 was ok and 1 had 1 pod on. 4 of them tho were almost dead all shriveld up and brown and 1 of them 4 had a pod on the soil all chewed up the bottom half was ok but the top half had been chewed open the bits were around and the peas inside were gone.

what could have done this and how can I prevent it on my last plant. I have tomatoes and cucumbers and pepers can I expect somthing simler on them?

I live in uk.

Diane
Green Thumb

Just guessing but do you have rabbits or squirrels or maybe some other small animals around?
It sounds like something a tomato worm would do but you didn't mention that they were bothered.

applestar
Mod

Were you going to save the seeds or are you just concerned for your other veg's? That does sound like some kind of a small animal, but I thought sweet pea seeds were poisonous? Maybe just doesn't taste as good as garden peas... for humans anyway.

Since you're just waiting for the seeds to ripen, you could perhaps put a berry netting (or an old lace curtain) over the plant or maybe just over the pea pod (do you have a couple of plastic berry baskets you could wire together over the pod? Cut the rim on one so you can ease the stem into one of the square openings and not squish it between the basket rims.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”