pensacola jim

Something is on my cucumbers and killing them

I notice little patches on the back side of the leaves almost look like
little nests of some sort, then I notice a slimy substance in and near
the new growth it's weird when I went out this morning everything seemed
fine then I noticed a long vine was completely wilted (dead) but the rest of the plant was fine, it's a mystery can anyone help ? thanks :( [img]https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/devildriver100164/Pensacola4thofJulyfireworks008.jpg[/img]
Last edited by pensacola jim on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crobi13

Try posting a picture, a lot can be determined if people can see what you are refering to.
Good luck with your cukes.

pensacola jim

crobi13 wrote:Try posting a picture, a lot can be determined if people can see what you are refering to.
Good luck with your cukes.
ok I posted the best picture I could I could get[img]https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/devildriver100164/Pensacola4thofJulyfireworks008.jpg[/img] They look like patches of eggs of some sort
Last edited by pensacola jim on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crobi13

I'm curious what the more experienced members think, I've seen some similar destruction on one of my cukes. I have seen a couple of slugs but I thought they had been after my peppers.

pensacola jim

Does anyone have any ideas what these little egg patches belong too

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

If the eggs are a reddish color the problem is squash bugs. If so, hand pick the bugs and squash the egg masses. You could lay boards on the ground and destroy the bugs that congregate under the boards during the day. Treating the plants with a multi purpose garden dust would also help. Treatment should be repeated every ten days. Good luck

Diane
Green Thumb

I think the slimy stuff is slugs or snails.
The eggs I would wipe off with a moist paper towel with a tiny bit of hand soap on it.
When I don't know or can't find out what a bug is I err on the side of caution.
You have damage so it doesn't sound like a good bug.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”