gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Is it too late for snap peas to be planted?

Well is it too late? I was thinking about putting some in the ground if it is not too late.

Thanks Dono

applestar
Mod

Actually, it's the other way around. It's a wee bit early for planting for fall peas for me, so it's probably more early (is there such a term in this context? I guess "too early" is it) for you. Count back the "days to maturity" + 2 weeks from your area's average first frost date.

( :oops: )
Last edited by applestar on Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Actually, it's the other way around. It's a wee bit early for planting for fall peas for me, so it's probably more early (is there such a term in this context? I guess "too early" is it) for you. Count back the "days to maturity" + 2 weeks from your area's average last front day.
Cool thanks, yeah I forgot to ask if it was too early. I thought they were a cold weather crop, but some places say no to that. I have it listed as cold myself just making sure. 8)

Dono

P.s. is that the norm for cool weather crops than? Maturity plus 2 weeks. I suppose this is to have a mature plant before the frost for strength.

Oh and don't you mean "First frost date" as opposed to ""last front day". :P

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Gixxerific, I planted sugar snaps last year on July 8. (I remember because I wanted to plant them on July 1 but didn't have the bed ready.) My purpose was to prep the soil in a new bed for peppers this year, so I wasn't terribly concerned whether or not they produced for me. However, I wound up with a terrific crop! My average first frost is September 19. Hope that helps :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

And I planted them this year on July 9! :) They've finally started coming up.

Our summer has been so much cooler here than usual that I decided to go ahead and plant them. Why not? My warm-weather veggies (tomatoes, eggplant, tomatillos) are just sitting around, waiting for the sun.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”