Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Ammonium Nitrate from Wal Mart is WORTHLESS

Wal Mart is selling the new NON EXPLOSIVE version of Ammonium Nitrate. I bought several bags from Wal Mart for the yard. It didn't do much the grass did grow a tiny bit faster and a tiny bit greener but nothing like real Ammonium Nitrate.

So I went to Farm Supply Store and got 1 bag of REAL Ammonium Nitrate and put it on the front yard. WOW what a difference I have to mow the grass every 3 days to keep up with it. The grass is a deep dark green and it sure does look nice.

I bought another bag of REAL Ammonium Nitrate for the garden. I won't buy any more of that worthless junk from Wal Mart.

I did an experement this year. I staked my bell peppers and banana peppers. I gave them a little REAL Ammonium Nitrate dissolved in water once a week for a while. This is the first time I have had pepper plants 7 ft tall. Banana peppers are as large as a real bananas 2" diameter x 10" long. Bell peppers are 4" to 4 1/2" diameter. Wow the bell peppers have a good flavor.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Gary350, I smell a new experiment about to emerge: Can you tell me more about this ammonium nitrate? I've never tried it. I'm not certain I've even heard of it, except from the Oklahoma City incident. Is it organic?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

stella1751 wrote:Gary350, I smell a new experiment about to emerge: Can you tell me more about this ammonium nitrate? I've never tried it. I'm not certain I've even heard of it, except from the Oklahoma City incident. Is it organic?

Is it organic? According to webster definition of organic it may be. But, it is a manufactured product made from ammonia. Ammonia is a natural produce but it is manufactured in large quantities too. Many organic gardeners use manufactured fertilizers that are made from organic materials so they are considered to be organic too. It is organic??? It has a lot to do with your point of view.

You can make your own nitrogen. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with dry grass clippings or any dry organic material and set it next to your toilet. Pee in it every time to need to pee. Keep the lid on the bucket. In about 5 or 6 days it will have a very strong ammonia smell. Ammonia is loaded with nitrogen. Put this on your plants and watch them grow it is definately organic.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I worked until retirement in the oil and gas industry. Most Ammonium Nitrate plants use natural gas as the feed stock and air for the nitrogen source to manufacture ammonium nitrate. It is the most common commercial fertilizer used today.

The concept of natural seems to be determined by each individual. In my mind ammonium nitrate is an unnatural way to deliver a natural product (nitrogen). I have never been able to determine any harm to gardens or the environment if the product is used responsibly. If used in a manner which causes run off, it will lead to algae bloom and oxygen depletion in ponds and other water containment's. If over used, it can cause gardens to grow at unnatural rates, causing bloom drop, stem weakness, and other problems.

It is a good product if used properly. A good compost is probably a better solution to feed your garden, but not everyone has the time or inclination to create and use compost.

Ted

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Thanks, Ted. I probably don't need it. It's interesting, though!

rootsy
Green Thumb

Using any salts based fertilizers will net you a loss of your Registration as Certified Organic.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Rootsy,
Since you are going for an all organic certification, I'm sure you know the rules better than me. I do question the validity of some of the rules. Nitrogen is a natural product. It is unrealistic to expect commercial farming enterprises to collect animal manure and other organic products for use as fertilizer. They require more efficient methods to deliver nitrogen. Ammonium Nitrate is the most efficient and can be applied in a controlled manner. If used properly, it doesn't have a downside that should effect an organic rating. It does violate the aesthetic concept of organic gardening.

Ted

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

For each his own. I am only concerned with not eating poison. Manufactured fertilizers are safe I have been using them for 40 years. My grandparents used them for 50 years. They didn't die from it and I have not died either. Some people and just too organic radical.

The air we breath is 70% nitrogen. If you put Legume seed Inoculant on your seeds before you plant then you do not need nitrogen fertilizer or compost either. Legume Inoculant allows the plant to take nitrogen directly out of the air. I use to use it all the time 30 years ago but the local farm supply store has not sold it for about 20 years. Wow it will make a garden grow GREAT. Plant 1 row with Legume Inoculant and plant another row without it and watch the 2 rows grow and you can see the difference.

https://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/crops/00305.html

https://www.iirr.org/saem/page153-158.htm

https://www.neseed.com/Inoculant_I_Legume_Inoculant_I_p/64825.htm

https://cgi.ebay.com/Fix-N-Grow-Granular-Legume-Inoculant-Safe-Natural_W0QQitemZ110383272646QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b35b12c6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Someone mentioned any salt base fertilizer is not organic. If you pee in a bucket of organic material it forms ammonia in about 5 or 6 days. Ammonia is loaded with nitrogen. If you stir in some soil and wood ashes in about 2 weeks it form white salt crystals which are Pure Potassium Nitrate. It is 100% organic nothing has been manufactured in a factory. This is the best organic supply of nitrogen fertilizer there is other than buying manufactured fertilizer which is the EXACT same thing made a different way. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

During the civil war they harvested the Potassium Nitrate to make gun powder.

rootsy
Green Thumb

No where did I say I wasn't using them. I've considered certified organic but I do NOT like the Registration process and the fleecing that the Registrars do on the farmer...

At this time I use treated seed, salt based fertilizers and if I have to I'll apply permethrin as a pesticide to sweet corn and non edible / ornamental items.

I was just tossing it out there when the question of is it organic was asked.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Rootsy,

I wasn't commenting on what your doing. I really like what you are doing. I was only commenting on the misconceptions many people have on "organic" versus "non-organic" produce and the rules that have been imposed defining "organically grown produce". The use of proper versus improper fertilizer is only one of the rules that seem a little silly.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”