kitabi

Fall Planting

can someone provide me a list of vegies to sow for the fall season? also the soil required for them would be useful.

jimmykx250

I hope this helps. Pick your zone.
https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-5-6-planting-schedule

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garlic.

Buy some grocery store garlic and seperate the bulbs into single cloves. It likes well drained sandy loam with an abundance of organic material and lime. Push cloves in the soil 4" apart. Plant late fall and harvest in the spring.

Peas

I plant snow peas late fall. They come up and grow all winter. There are ready to pick before it is time to plant my spring garden.

Beets

I have planted beets late fall too. I hate grocery store can beets, yuck nothing taste worse than can beets. But home grown garden beets are very good.

Kale, turnip green, chard will grow all winter. The kale can stand any amount of cold and ice, the turnip greens may slow down if it gets extremely cold but they won't die, the chard sometimes dies if it gets too cold you can put them in a cold frame and they do great all winter.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitabi

A nice weekend coming to an end. I have had my picks and have planted several new things to my garden.

Radish - Red
Radish - White
Spring Onions
Lettuce - (Nursery)
Water Melon (Am I late? I have still three hot months left before the weather starts to cool in Houston TX)
Beet
Garlic
Cucumbers
Corn - Late Vareity

Yay man it seems a lot here..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's an odd assortment... it can't be the right time to plant all of those things. Lettuce, beets, garlic, onions for spring are cool weather crops. Watermelon is hot weather. It seems a little late for planting watermelon (did you do seeds or plants?), but maybe if you have three more hot months you will get some. But that means it's definitely too early for the lettuce which will just burn up.

Here's a couple links to fall gardening info:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule

https://www.humeseeds.com/falwint.htm

kitabi

Thanks for the advice.

I think I went wrong with lettuce and raddish here. Have sowed them already so hoping for the best and am prepared for the worst. Am a new gardner so preparing myself to learn from mistakes.

razzz8606

kitabi wrote:A nice weekend coming to an end. I have had my picks and have planted several new things to my garden.

Radish - Red
Radish - White
Spring Onions
Lettuce - (Nursery)
Water Melon (Am I late? I have still three hot months left before the weather starts to cool in Houston TX)
Beet
Garlic
Cucumbers
Corn - Late Vareity

Yay man it seems a lot here..
hey man well your radishes will make it your lettuce will 2 if there plants and not from seed :) ... garlic should come up next yr this yr they probably wont do squat ... beets you might get something out of but they wont get 2 big ... corn maybe but I have my douts but u r in texas so its all possible I live in Cobourg Ontario Canada so its hard for me to say for sure I don't know what the weather is like there best thing I can say is just keep it watered and hope for the best :) it is late so anything you get is a bonus :) if u spread manure around that will help increase your odds of getting something out of ur crop ... well I hope I helped

SP8
Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:Garlic.

Buy some grocery store garlic and seperate the bulbs into single cloves. It likes well drained sandy loam with an abundance of organic material and lime. Push cloves in the soil 4" apart. Plant late fall and harvest in the spring.
Make sure it's organic garlic that you buy otherwise you might not get much success considering most garlic is sprayed/bathed with chemicals to stop it from sprouting!

Don't forget to harvest some of the shoots to chuck in your stir-frys. YUM!

applestar
Mod

I think you'll do OK with the cucumbers and the corn. Watermelon will depend on how fast it matures -- it should say on the seed packet. If you bought seedlings and has a variety name on the tag, try an on-line search "variety name days to maturity". You need to remember that the days will be getting shorter as fall progresses, so even with hot temperatures, the plants will take longer to grow.

Now would be good time for most bush beans and some pole beans and possibly edamame (green soybeans), carrots if you can keep the seeds moist (you *can* start them indoors first if you are very careful with the roots when transplanting -- no bending, lots of water, etc.). Summer squash -- zucchini, yellow crook neck, pattipan/flying saucer -- should be good too unless there are pest issues that I'm not aware of. If you have a cool basement and can set up a seed starting area, now would be a good time to start seeds for fall cole crops like Brussels sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage, and Broccoli (usually in that order, according to maturity dates) to be planted when things cool down a bit more.

Oh, garlic -- you want to make sure that the garlic you're planting is the correct variety for your region -- bulbing is triggered by amount of daylight hours I believe. Also, I found out that recommended planting time for garlic differs for Southern areas where the ground doesn't freeze vs. Northern. Northern areas, you plant them like spring bulbs, early enough for roots to grow but late enough so they won't sprout and get freeze killed -- so mid-October for me. Southern areas, you want them to get growing then go dormant in the cold -- so late summer for you. I'm not sure if it was too early for you to plant now or not. I guess we'll find out. :wink:

kitabi

Thanks guys for all your responses. I was like little bogged down by the thoughts of my poor plants not surviving. I will make sure I take care of them properly. I bought the seeds specially looking at their planting and maturity dates. Let see only time gonna tell.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”