kitabi

Corn plants did not grow well

Hello ppl,

I planted sweet corn a couple of months back and now they have started to produce. However they are not giving good ears. The ears are very thin and small and the plant itself is quite weak to handle the ears. I applied moo manure and compost near the harvest time.

One more strange thing is that only the area where the corn is growing has gone quite water logged. I have other plants near them but they are all doing good and soil is still good enough to take in all the water.

I have planted the late variety of corn 5 days back and now its time for them to sprout. Please tell me what measures should I take this time for a good harvest.

I live in Houston TX with US Hardiness Zone 9A.

rootsy
Green Thumb

If you mean sprout as in making ears then you are more or less game over... You may get some nitrogen on it now and salvage some ears.

kitabi

no no, I meant sprout as in germinating.

what to do with my older palnts. should I just let it go and hope for the best the next time, or there is still a chance for them to develop their ears?

rootsy
Green Thumb

Corn needs nitrogen... Lot of nitrogen... P & K in proper measure too... Micronutrients don't hurt either. You can do multiple applications. Do what is called banding or side dressing... place your fertilizers 6 inches off to the side of the row. Incorporate with a tool or water it in. Mother nature will take care of the rest. Water well from tassel through harvest...

kitabi

Thanks for the advice. will work for them in the weekend.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Corn does not like wet feet. Good drainage is a must.
The corn field should be fertilized at planting time. You can side dress when it is about waist high. After the ears are forming it doesn't do any good to fertilize.

The recommendation is to plant corn in rows 30 to 36 inches apart and put the seed 6 to 12 inches in the rows. Closer spacing for real fertile soil. Plant at least three rows for good pollination.

Corn needs sunshine, a breeze , water, heat, correct spacing and good fertile soil to succeed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”