gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

More melon ?'s : Too Many on 1 plant?

I have 1 plant that has 4 melons on it. I just pulled one off today that was only hanging by a thread. The biggest being abut 6-8 inches across. That one is starting to ripen.

another note I have pulled 5-7 little (1"-2") buds that all turned yellow and soft. Someone said it might be and ill-pollinated fruit. This thing is still flowering like crazy.

Between that my cuc's and tomatoes, I have had to coexist with all the bee's due to massive flowering. We have an understanding. :D I think one was trying to get some pollen off my hand yesterday while I was watering. :shock: 8) Sorry Mr. Bee no pollen here.

Dono

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have a watermelon that is a pretty large plant, lot's of flowers, but no fruit.
I checked the other day and all the flowers I checked were male. I seem to remember that maybe you need to have more than one watermelon for pollination. I could be wrong.

:oops:

What do you think, I could take pics. It's huge like I said but that's all. If it is all male flowers I'm going to pull it immediately so it doesn't eat up all the goodies in the ground for nothing.

Thanks Dono

rootsy
Green Thumb

God knows better than us and it does us no good to try to out smart him... Let em be... The watermelon will put out a lot of males before teh vines run out and put some females on...

kgall

My watermelon has both male and female now.! Lots of males first though!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”