stella1751
Greener Thumb

It's early here to do a garden eval. Additionally, I was late getting everything started :x Nevertheless, I've learned some things about my crop.

Better Bush Hybrid tomatoes are not my cup of tea. I still haven't figured them out. They seem to want to grow sideways instead of up and are now wider than they are tall. They are also wimps, going into a state of inactivity for three weeks after being hailed on. However, if you dig deep enough within the foliage, you'll see they are producing big and well. The plants just don't satisfy my expectations for a tomato.

The Lemon Boys have me both worried and anticipatory. They are the first tomatoes I've ever planted that seem to want to concentrate on fruit production rather than foliage. They are a short 40" tall right now, but each plant has roughly 4 dozen tiny to medium tomatoes in the works. At this time of the Wyoming year, that translates to roughly 100 tomatoes per plant by season's end. Can they sustain this production, bringing each tomato to fruition? I worry about them.

My hot cherry peppers are performing as expected. Each has roughly two dozen peppers in various stages of development. I double-mulched them a few days ago, and they are currently whining about the additional heat. I suspect I will achieve an average crop from this crew.

My Slicemaster cucumbers are happy, healthy, and making me wish I had bought more. The silly things put on all female blossoms at first. I ran to Home Depot and bought a sorry-looking bush cucumber with all male flowers to pollinate them, and I now have several cucumbers in the works.

My squash is, I suspect, my prize this year. I purchased a variety pack of patty pan seeds from Burpee (Peter Pan, Creamsicle, and Sunny Delight), and I succession planted them about 4 days apart. They took a long time to germinate; I think that's my fault. However, they are monsters. The oldest, at five weeks old, are three feet high and just now producing blossoms, male and female, in huge quantities. BTW, for those who might be interested, I have four beds of these patty pans, and the best producers are those planted in the bed with the highest percentage of compost. I can't say they are going to produce like mad, but I feel like they will. I'll know more at the beginning of September.

Ted, this was fun. Can you do it again around the beginning of September? Right now, I think my patty pans, my Lemon Boys, and my Slicemasters will prove to be my "talk abouts" over the winter, but I don't know, not yet. With our 120-day growing season, we Wyomingites don't generally know for certain until we near the end!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

I will be happy to repost it.

I planted some yard long asparagus beans earlier this week and they are just now breaking ground and growing quickly. I also planted some more cucumber and squash seed for a late summer harvest.

I also planted four Goliath tomato plants in the onion bed which has been empty since all the onions were harvested. I've never grown Goliath and am curious to see how they do.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Tammy42

Update on my garden, besides the rain, us here in AK needing a ark the last four days!!! My garden is doing outstandly good for the end of July and me be a first time gardener!!! On my big tomato plant , yes I am missing some branches due to the rain , but I have four little tomatoes on it, and some more blossoms so I will get more tomatoes. I have about four tomatoes on that one also. The big tomato on that one I should be able to harvest in about three weeks. I have havested about six pea pods from the sugar snap peas I have with plenty more to follow in the next month- and that is in just one container. I have another container of sugar snap peas blossomimg now, so there's another harvest. My burpless cucumbers have about five or six baby cuke's om them. The other cucumber container has some baby cucumbers. Those should be sone in about a month to. Should be able to harvest a grn. pepper in two weeks, with many more of those to follow. Brussel sprouts have devloped , and are coming along nicely. Then yesterday when I went out to the garden to check to see if things were ok, found small green beans on both of my green bean plants, so in a month I should be able to havest those also. So within the last month my garden has blossomed and is thriving!!!! This is a good thing for me, being the first time gardener!!!! Already thinking about next year, what to plant!!!! Tammy :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Tammy42, you are doing very well for a first-year gardener; congratulations! I have thought about you several times over the past two or three days. I think we got the tail end of your storm system, and we've been getting rain for the past few days. In Wyoming, though, rain means about .1 to .2 inch of rain in a 24-hour period. Because it feels like or looks like a lot of rain, it's the most dangerous of all the weather in terms of fooling the gardener. Should I water? Should I wait? Generally, if I wait, something is hurt. So, I am watering :lol:

Tammy42

Thanks Stella for the advice, maybe I should go out there and check the plants again, because maybe they don't have enough. But alot of mu flowers were showing they were wet. Don't mind some rain, but don't like the deluge. Tammy

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Oh no. From what you've said, I suspect you are fine. It's only in dry Wyoming that you get fooled. Well, dry states, anyway. A little rain can feel like a lot when it's really just a little :)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

We were supposed to be getting a lot of rain in North Texas. The clouds would go north and south of us. We were getting maybe 1/4" every couple of days. I was turning my garden watering system off one day, and back on the next for a week. We finally got 1 1/2" last night. That will last for a few days. We really needed it.

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”