Diane
Green Thumb

butternut squash female flower.

I have a butternut squash plant that has a small 3 inch squash growing. The problem is I don't remember seeing an open male flower.
I noticed all male flowers on one vine and all female on another. Is this normal?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, in general one plant will have both male and female flowers on the same plant, so that one plant can be self-pollinating.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Abnormality is fairly common though. For example my rampant cucumber vines that have all male flowers so far. Generally male flowers show up first very close to the center of the plant, any chance one faded before you got a good look at it. Anybody else in the area growing squash/pumpkins. Bees can fly a long way.

Diane
Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Abnormality is fairly common though. For example my rampant cucumber vines that have all male flowers so far. Generally male flowers show up first very close to the center of the plant, any chance one faded before you got a good look at it. Anybody else in the area growing squash/pumpkins. Bees can fly a long way.
One might have opened and I didn't notice. No others have yet.
I do have plenty of bees because of my berries. Anything is possible since I so often find plants I didn't plant. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”