garcaj

Peppers---too late to thin?

Hello again~

Being new to vegetable gardening, I am certain to commit some blunders.
I forgot to thin my pepper plants. They are now about roughly 8 inches in height. I see no evidence of flowers or buds yet. Does anyone know if thinning them now will cause the demise of those that are taken and/or those that are left in the bed?

Many thanks~
A

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't say how close they are together, but if you think they are seriously overcrowded, go ahead and thin them. Soak your soil thoroughtly first and you should be able to gently dig out plant with rootball and some of the surrounding soil and not disturb anything too much.

nes
Green Thumb

If you're not concerned with saving all the plants I'd just cut them down with a sharp pair of scissors.

razzz8606

yes u can thin them and u don't have to water the soil 1st just once u thin them with roots attached of course just give them a good soaking once there in the ground :) ... if u have any pepers on these plants ur thinning when u transplant them the pepers might turn black this is nothing to worrie about its just from shock they are still eatable and any new ones that will come will be green :) to increase the size and growth of ur pepers or any other flowers plant blood meal works amazing just sprinkle it around ur plants and the rain will water it in :)

garcaj

Sounds like a plan...I will attempt the thinning of a few. As I did not state how close together they are, some are right up against each other where the stems almost look as if they are one plant.
There are no flowers or peppers on them yet as our season (elev. 6000ft) is a bit behind the lower elevations.
Thanks to all for the info and advice. :)

A

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”