newbee_in
Newly Registered

No male flowers in my cucumber plant!

Guys,

I have 3 cucumber plants in my house and they all seem to be healthy and growing steadily. There is just one problem. All of them have just the female flowers and no male :(. I had grown cucumber last year and around this time, I remember the plant growing nice cucumbers...Am not sure whats wrong this time..Please advice me on this.

Thanks

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I understand that there are hybrid varieties of cucumbers, usually the seedless types, that are supposed to produce only female flowers. The flowers produce fruit without need for pollination.

Do you know what variety of cucumbers you have?

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

You really do not need male flowers on cucumbers until the plant produces female flowers. Until then it is best to remove them.
Last edited by Hydrogardener on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pharmerphil

Hydrogardener wrote:You really do not need male flowers on cucumbers, and in fact it is best to remove them.
sorry, but interested on where you got that information??
Standard cukes need male flowers for pollination...
the Hybrid gynoecious types do not; However, Sseed packets of gynoecious hybrids usually have several seeds of a normal variety mixed in for pollinators .
Parthenocarpic cucumbers are all female, are seedless and develop without pollination or seeds..unless of course you have a standard type nearby

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Use the males to pollinate the females by picking them, removing the petals and holding the stem transfer pollen from the stamen to the pistil of the female flower. Each male will pollinate three or four females.
Last edited by Hydrogardener on Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newbee_in
Newly Registered

am growing cucumber straight 8 and I googled to get any pollination related information about this variety about this type and no luck ! does anybody know which category it falls in to , if it will have female or male flowers or both...thanks y'all for all ur input.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I've actually planted one couple of weeks ago so I can have continuous harvest throughout the growing season...

It is an open pollinated heirloom, and it has both, male and female flowers. I can take some pictures tomorrow if I get home from work before dark.

Regards,
D

wnight
Newly Registered

Hi
I have been growing vegetables for over 40 years and I have never seen this happen. I bought 10 cucumber plants from Home Depot that where in 4 inch pots an I transplanted them into 6 " pots . I let them get going in the new pots and then I transplanted them into a spot under my Orange tree. The sun in Florida gets really brutal and without shade they would just wither and die. All 10 plants are producing male flowers like crazy and there is no female flowers on any of the plants including the 4 plants I planted beside a tree to get some shade from the afternoon sun. The temp at night is 75 and in the day it goes to anywhere around 90 .I use Miracle grow on them and they look great , except I do not see anything that looks like a cucumber. I even took an artist brush and went flower to flower. Nothing happened. It has been over two weeks and no sign of anything that looks like a cucumber. I did have a problem with leafminers. But I bought some Pyola insecticide to get rid of them and it did . The plants had all male flowers even before I sprayed them with Pyola . I did plant english cucumbers and they started to have cucumbers on the vines , but the Leafminers killed all the plants ,because I did not have any spray to control them at that time. This is why I am trying again.
I hope someone can help me.
Steve :(

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”