Rambo 09
Cool Member

seed starting?

aproximatly how long do you think it would take for cucumber seeds to sprout if they are being kept moist in a wet paper town at all times,
how long do you think it would take for a zuchinni to sprout given the same cercamstances? just wondering cuz its been 3 days and the seeds stil havent sprouted, Same with corn, how long till I see the corn come out of the soil, I water them every day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Corn should sprout in 4 -12 days. Zucchini and cucumber they say 4-8 days. Planting mine in potting soil with bottom heat, they often pop up in 48 hrs or less. I've never tried sprouting in paper towels, don't know how that changes things. If they do sprout, they will need to get in soil right away. Water gently... seeds need to not dry out, but more seeds are killed by over-watering than under.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

You can kill a seed by over watering it?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rambo 09 wrote:You can kill a seed by over watering it?
Yes. Quite easily, in fact.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I never knew that, how douse it happen, is it when the seed opens and the hypercottle comes out and it gets drowned?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The delicate baby roots rot from too much moisture and/or the seedling develops a fungus called damping off which happens when there is too much moisture and not enough air circulation and the damping off kills it.

Not sure what you meant with hypercottle. The first leaves that the baby seedling produces are called seed leaves or cotyledons.

starflare
Cool Member

These are from s[url=https://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1010690.jpg][img]https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/472/1010690.th.jpg[/img][/url]
eeds

applestar
Mod

All the curcurbits -- cucumbers, watermelons, pumpkins, zucchinis, squash, melons, etc. -- are quite sensitive to having their roots disturbed. In all honesty, I wouldn't recommend the paper towel method for these. They are better off started in largish pots -- at least 3", preferably 4" of good container soil. This way, you can carefully transplant them after they have 3 true leaves, hopefully by cupping the ball of soil around the roots. They are also very hardy and do well directly seeded in the garden after soil temp is above 60ºF for cukes and watermelons and some pumpkins, above 65ºF for the rest.

Better seeds for the papertowel method are easily handled ones like tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cole crops, etc. But if you observe the "plant as soon as root tips show" rule as described below, it's more like pre-sprouting or chitting, and can be done with almost any seed.

My favorite method: sandwich seeds between two layers of damp, not soggy, paper towels and put in zip bag. Roll up and insert inside paper towel tube. Put in warm spot like top of the fridge or water heater. Check daily, add water if needed. Tear/cut up paper towels with sprouted seeds and plant in pots AS SOON AS radicles (tiny tip of root) appear.
The trouble with this method, in my mind, is that you're SLAVE to the seeds. YOU HAVE TO PLANT ASAP. I prefer to sow the seeds and then let them come up when they're ready. :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've sprouted seeds the way applestar described, but I only do that when I'm using seed that I have had stored for more than 18 months ... usually flower seeds. By sprouting the seed before I plant it, I'm able to avoid leaving gaps in my flower beds because of no-longer-fertile seeds that failed to sprout. It really is a lot of work, especially if you're sprouting a large amount of seed.

When I'm planting fresh seed, I find it far easier just to plant in starter pots, or directly into the ground. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”