Elliot
Newly Registered

RIP my cayenne plant...?

Meet my cayenne plant, Carl. He was adopted on a sunny day in Maryland at the Valley View Farms nursery. His leaves drooped and he seemed weak, but I knew he had potential.

[img]https://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5837/cayenne1.jpg[/img]

In about four months he grew and grew, constantly showing off his large supply of peppers that even began to turn red! Though, he was shy and didn't talk much (quite an introvert) so he mostly sat around the sunny balcony all day sipping on drinks like watered down Joy Juice made by his friend Monty.

[img]https://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5180/cayenne2.jpg[/img]

One night, a violent storm rolled by that blew Carl off the balcony! He fell only one story onto the grass, but almost all the branches broke off!

[img]https://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9711/cayenne3.jpg[/img]

Is he doomed? Will he one day produce red peppers again? There is still a branch with several leaves still attached. Either way, he won't be the same again. In his memory I have collected his remains that will be spread amongst my friends and family.

[img]https://img514.imageshack.us/img514/6798/cayenne4.jpg[/img]

And no I do not put my pots on the balcony edge anymore, except to take pictures. My habanero plant Harold fell off too (monkey see monkey do), but nothing broke off. Still, Carl was my favorite of my collection of eight plants.

Zofiava

Poor, Poor Carl.

You have my condolences. He will be missed.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it can probably survive, but probably won't have fruit for a while. people sometimes bring hot pepper plants inside over the winter (good lights needed), but when they get dug, they frequently get chopped to near there.
baby it for a little while. I mean, it's got a name, you can't just give up when it's still alive, what would harold think?

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I'm so sorry, that would be so disapointing...just to walk up and llook down to see your hard work and love just fall over and die, sorry for your loss.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Give him some vitamins and plenty of water. He will come back!

Elliot
Newly Registered

Good news! The old leaves fell off and new ones are growing all over the place!! I think he's going to make it and produce cayenne peppers again.

cdlc92
Newly Registered

My Cayenne peppers seem to live through about anything. First of all, when my mom started them in march they came on very well. She brought them outside on one of those fluke warm sunny days in march and forgot about them. The frost came and froze them all off back to the soil. She gave up on them and left them outside to bear the cold until about mid may when I saw them. most of them were goners. A few had a piece of green stem sticking out of the soil so I took them and tried to revive them. Today I have three, cayenne plants that are each about two feet tall, not to mention I accidentally stepped on one about a month ago and it came back just as well.

jamesy
Cool Member

cdlc92 ..lol..I did that when I put mine in , 4 wee cayannes nurtured from seed to about 5 inch , I carefully prepared and planted each one , really taking my time and doing a good job.
It was only when I stepped back to admire my handiwork I realised id trampled one seriously and had been doing so absentmindedly while planting the others.
Pressed and squished into the mud it was..but like your guys's plants it appears to be none the worse,coming along fine.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good news on you plant.

Like I've said before with some love they will come back. I had some potato plants eaten to ground level 4 times this year and they come back every time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”