CarolM

Pumpkins

When pumpkins emerge, do I need to keep them off the ground? How?

Thanks

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I say yes, if I were you, I would use straw or sawdust, thus giving somewhat of a "Blanket" helping protect the pumpkin from ground rawt, If you don't, it wont kill you, but if you wach after your pumpkins like little babys, I would. :wink:

Rambo 09
Cool Member

Tuck the straw or sawdust underneath the plant, all the way around it, and make sure that the pumpkin grows onto the straw.

:wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would as well, you could have rot if is extremely wet. Who knows what kind of soil borne disease might be lurking about.

It can't hurt can it? 8)

Dono

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I never worry about it here. The pumpkins sit on the ground and do just fine.

Conditions very in every garden though. You would do well to talk to some local gardeners to see what works for them.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

(Things to do if you get bored.)

Usually a pumpkin will develop lying on its side. Then you have an odd shaped fruit. While the pumpkin is small you can stand it on its blossom end. To do that you have to actually pull the vine towards the root some to get enough slack in the vine that the fruit can develop underneath the vine without putting stress on it. While you are at it place some cardboard under the pumpkin. This gives you a nice round pumpkin.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”