Tinybu88les8

bell peppers

So I have 3 bells growing (sweet red, yellow, and green). Theres a yellow bell....its about the size of a baseball...not ready to be picked and I just went out to my garden and noticed that its brown on the size...just a small mark...I dunno what it is...maybe a bug tried to get inside? Ive noticed a couple small holes on my tomatoes but what about the pepper? Should I pick it? Its still very green. But the brown spot is soft and about the size of a quarter.

Tinybu88les8

side* not size oops

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Tinybu88les8 wrote:So I have 3 bells growing (sweet red, yellow, and green). Theres a yellow bell....its about the size of a baseball...not ready to be picked and I just went out to my garden and noticed that its brown on the size...just a small mark...I dunno what it is...maybe a bug tried to get inside? Ive noticed a couple small holes on my tomatoes but what about the pepper? Should I pick it? Its still very green. But the brown spot is soft and about the size of a quarter.
That is hard to say without seeing it. But in most cases when something like this happens it will only get worse. I couldn't tell you what it is but keep an eye on it if it gets worse pull it. It could be bugs or disease, let's hope for bugs they will go away disease usually does not.

In reading my own reply I hope I'm not scaring you.

Dono

applestar
Mod

Yellow and Red peppers are just sweet pepper varieties that are selected to mature and color up earlier with pretty colors. So you can eat the "yellow" pepper while it's still green. Pick it, cut away the brown part and enjoy! :wink: The pepper plant is more likely to flower and produce more fruits if the peppers are not allowed to completely mature anyway. I think someone asked about that in another thread. Not sure of the answer to the "chicken or the egg" question -- pick while green and get more fruits or let mature for full color and get less -- myself.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”