ARose4Heaven
Newly Registered

Iowa - is it too early for spagetti squash to be ripe?

I planted all my vine crops together...now I am not sure what to harvest when.

This is my first time for Zucchini...discovered they are sneaky little things that get oversized overnight.

I am confused about the Spagetti squash though. Should it be solid yellow when ripe? Is it like Zucchini, best when small? How will I know?

Also...because of the vining tangle across the mulch bed, I don't know how to tell the watermelon from the pumpkins. Do I just wait and see what turns yellow?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The spaghetti squash should be turning yellow with the rind hardening up so that you can't easily pierce it with a fingernail. When you pick it, let it sit in the sun for awhile til the cut end dries up some.

Sounds like your garden is doing great! Congratulations!

applestar
Mod

‣ My watermelon leaves have distinct lobes or "fingers" with rounded ends vs. more geometric shape and pointed ends on the pumpkins.
- Pumpkin flowers are MUCH bigger.
‣ If you are growing typical pumpkins and watermelons the shape of the fruits should be a clue too. You won't want to leave the watermelon until it's yellow -- you'll miss the peak of sweetness.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Harvest watermelon when the bottom turns from white to a cream yellow color... Don't rush it though, once they are off of the vine they will cease to ripen any more.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for clarifying! :D I did mean yellow all over, though I've never seen such a creature. :wink:

starflare
Cool Member

AROSE a spagetti squish should grow a little bigger and it should have a solid shell and be yellow and it is nothing like a zucchine.

applestar
Mod

You know, just to offer a contrary opinion :wink:

I HAVE heard that you can pick Spaghetti Squash young -- picked small and eaten like summer squash, tender skin and seeds and all -- maybe grilled like some people have been raving elsewhere? Haven't had the occasion to try growing them myself (maybe next year :D )
Let us know how they taste if you try eating them this way.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”