womillerjr
Newly Registered

summer squash leaves

If I have a white powdery substance on my squash leaves but nothing on the actual squash....is it still okay to cook and eat the squash or not?

nes
Green Thumb

It's probably powdery mildew, you can treat the leaves with a 1:4 (up to 50:50) mix of water & milk as a fungicide. There was a thread about eating the veggies, I'm not sure.

splat42069

are you sure its powdery mildew? Zuchuini and squash leaves turn silverish/white on the veins of the leaves, its normal.

Now if the whole leaf is covered with a powdery color then its mildew, if its just on the veins its normal.

applestar
Mod

Unless the squash are extremely small, you can always pick them before the mildew has the chance to do too much damage. The mildew/mold leaves sunken spots on the skin that turn yellow/brown. If it's only on the surface, then wash with some salty water. You can even pick the baby ones with flower attached -- just like in gourmet restaurants. :wink:

My first zucchini started off at about 3" when it flowered, and for most varieties, the recommended size for picking is 6"~8". Yesterday, it was about 4". Matter of fact, I'd better go check how big it is NOW. 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”