Gilles
Newly Registered

Whats wrong with my eggplants and cukes?

So I got two cucumbers and two eggplant that I picked up from my local nursery and ended up planting them at the end of june. They are sitting in a raised bed with very good soil which I also mixed up with chicken manure before planting, and they get plenty sunlight. I ust added some fresh compost yesterday before watering them and still they seem to have stopped growing. I am new to gardening and could use some advice. The cucumbers are only about 6 inches tall and a couple of the leaves have yellowed and are dying off. The eggplants are about 10 to 12 inches tall and are already producing flowers. Should I snip some of the flowers off to encourage more growth or should they stay on? [/img]

splat42069

Id say give them some time to let the roots develope some more. Its only been 2 weeks since you said you transplanted them. Eventually they will take off.

Some pics might help too :)

applestar
Mod

Splat is right in that the plants probably suffered some shock. Cukes in particular don't like their roots disturbed and will have some issues if they were pot bound. Eggplants just need time to grow roots, and they sulk in cooler weather -- around here, night temps have plummeted to 50's and low 60's. Eggs are not happy. Fortunately, hotter weather is on its way.

Cukes and eggplants have slightly different requirements. Eggplants will want to get as much sun as possible and stay warm. They are somewhat drought tolerant. Cukes don't like to dry out -- they like their roots shaded/well mulched and benefit from dappled shade during sun-high.

You say you mixed chicken manure before planting.... Chicken manure is strong stuff and can "burn" roots when they come in direct contact.... Chicken manure can also heat up the soil temperature-wise. I believe it's best to compost it before using in the garden, or amend soil with it at least 1 month ahead of time and allow to mellow. I don't think you need to add any more compost.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”