nes
Green Thumb

Improving Soil Fertility for Next Season

I'm a little underwhelmed at the growth in my veggie plants this year (however, last year I got 2 carrots, 3 beans and 1 cucumber... so I'm not that upset!). I was reading that lots of clover growth means you have poor fertility, well I have clover everywhere between my veggies.

The lettuce is doing well but slow, beans are great, as are the carrots tops (if not the bottoms). However the squash and cucumbers are still just small plants with 4-5 leaves and no flowers :(. The squash got a late start, but June so not that late! However the cukes have been in since May so should be much larger but didn't start growing until a couple weeks ago.

We're on A1 Farm land (from my understand that is the second best there is) so theoretically I should be able to flip over sod, throw down some seeds and have anything I want grow. The soil is a clay-loam with pretty decent structure.

My garden (about 14' x 30') is on top of the former dog run, so to set it up for this year I:
Last year: raked up ALL of the left over dog-feces, removed fluff from toys, etc from the year before (there was not allot of poo)
This year:
  • Turned the entire garden under by double-digging the whole plot (yes, that took allot of energy and time!!)
  • Removed as much gravel as possible, and turned under the rest at least a foot
  • Added year-old horse manure & dirt, at 3-4" over the entire garden
This fall I was thinking of adding some aged cow manure* and covering with 2 year old outdoor stored hay (it's pretty well composted already), and maybe the contents of my compost if it's ready. Then digging my entire garden again in the spring.

*there is an issue of the transporting of the cow manure so I may get newer stuff then I'd like (when the farmer cleans out the barn - I don't want to stick it in my car or get it from the poo-soup!!) but I can get much more then I'd ever want.

I may also be expanding the garden further into the lawn O:) I'll just have to do it while Hubby's at work. The only problem is the 8' back fence ends where my garden is now & I don't want cows stealing my produce :lol:.

Please note: I'm growing veggies because I love it but also to save money, I'm trying to keep this hobby as cheap as possible

Do you guys think my plans will improve my soil fertility enough?
I'd really prefer to have good enough soil that I don't have to think about adding a fertilizer all the time (which I'm not doing now).

Is there something else I should be doing?

I am a complete beginner, but I'm learning fast. Perhaps I should have covered my squash/pumpkins or grown them larger indoors before attempting to put them out?

I've been trying to let clover grow in among the bare spots, but it's hard to weed around. I also threw down some extra bean plants into the bare-areas to help fix the nitrogen.

Thanks guys - you've been so helpful to a beginner like me!! :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Look here https://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

I have been gardening for many years. Every year (mostly) I add horse manure that comes with the saw dust bedding to my garden. I will also add whatever looks good at the time, be it humus or store bought compost, homemade compost, top soil, blood meal or other fertilizers oh and lime whatever I think it needs or all of it. Grind it all together and get gardening. Though I normally do it in the fall this year I added Horse manure in early spring along with humus, peat moss and some other things. I have not had a problem with plants burning that I know of.

So basically I add whatever I can get a hold of and till it all together.

I also cut and split my own firewood so all that debris gets added in at one point or another.

Good Luck Dono

jmoore

gixxerific wrote:Every year (mostly) I add horse manure that comes with the saw dust bedding to my garden.
What does this do? There are some stables very near the house and there are giant piles of sawdust out by the road. I assume there is horse manure mixed in there.

I think it's available for the taking if you have a shovel and something to haul it in. It would be easy to go down and grab some if it would help the soil, which it appears it would.

Edit: Ok. I just read the info in your link. Looks like I need to go get a trash can full of this stuff and put it on for the winter.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jmoore wrote:
gixxerific wrote:Every year (mostly) I add horse manure that comes with the saw dust bedding to my garden.
What does this do? There are some stables very near the house and there are giant piles of sawdust out by the road. I assume there is horse manure mixed in there.
OH yeah I would. Usually they want you to take it away. Just go up and ask them, more than likely they will be happy to give it away. Not only does it add nutrients but also fluffs up your soil a bit. At my last house after 7 years my garden soil was black and very fertile. Of course I would add other things as well, grass, peat moss, compost and whatever I thought it might need.

jmoore

Well it looks like a trip to the stables is in order then. I've seen vehicles in there and the gate near the sawdust piles is always open, so I'm just gonna drive in and pick me up a load.

I've had some pumpkin seeds going in the kitchen window ledge for the last few weeks. So tonight I found an open spot in the garden and worked in some manure and some mushroom compost into the nasty clay soil. I got it as fluffy as I could and planted the two pumpkins in the "better" soil on a couple of nice mounds. A layer of mulch on top and we're rolling. Hopefully they take and we can get something for Halloween.

I'm now trying to figure out where to put a compost pile and/or a worm bin. Is this a sign of addiction? :lol:
gixxerific wrote:OH yeah I would. Usually they want you to take it away. Just go up and ask them, more than likely they will be happy to give it away. Not only does it add nutrients but also fluffs up your soil a bit. At my last house after 7 years my garden soil was black and very fertile. Of course I would add other things as well, grass, peat moss, compost and whatever I thought it might need.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jmoore wrote:I'm just gonna drive in and pick me up a load.

I would ask first they might come to meet you with shotguns!!!

I'm now trying to figure out where to put a compost pile and/or a worm bin. Is this a sign of addiction? :lol:

Yes, welcome to gardening there is NO WAY OUT!!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

jmoore wrote:....

Ahem. [clearing throat] We are not *addicted.* Oh, no, not us! :wink: We are...

...inspired! Yeah, that's it! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jmoore

gixxerific wrote:
jmoore wrote:I'm just gonna drive in and pick me up a load.

I would ask first they might come to meet you with shotguns!!!

Yes, welcome to gardening there is NO WAY OUT!!!
Shotguns! Excellent point. This is Texas afterall 8)

I'm definitely hooked on this dang blasted garden. At least it's a hobby that keeps me around the house and provides (hopefully) some tasty bits for the table.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah more than likely the will give it too you though they may want money. But that is the way to go.

About this comment you made "At least it's a hobby that keeps me around the house and provides (hopefully) some tasty bits for the table." Trust me you could plant a garden in a septic tank and it would blow away anything you could get at the supermarket! :lol:

Dono

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”