gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Possible to Replant Small Potato Spuds?

I just harvest some tators and was wondering if I could replant my spuds that were small.

Would I just put them on a sill till they sprout than throw them in the ground. This is my first tator experience and they blew away anything you would ever find in a store. Albeit they were in a virgin garden and I didn't get too many BIG ones.

Dono

Diane
Green Thumb

This is only my second year planting potatoes.
I'm still planting. I keep a small tray of peels in soil and plant when they reach the 4 inch surface. I planted 4 last week and the plants are 4 to 7 inches already. What do you have to lose is how I feel.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

something to consider: the bigger the volume of the seed piece, the more quickly and vigorously the plant will grow.

using tiny pieces can be a diminishing returns kinda thing: plant a small potato, get a smaller plant, receive even smaller potatoes, etc.

applestar
Mod

I believe 1" or small egg is the usual recommended seed potato size, whether whole or cut up piece from a larger potato.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I believe 1" or small egg is the usual recommended seed potato size, whether whole or cut up piece from a larger potato.
Thanks for all the replies. Especially applestar, that was exactly what I was wanting someone to say. I have 30 or so little potatoes.

While I here I had a few tators that were mush or part mush is that basically root rot from too much water. for a while last month it seemed every other day we had a 2" rain.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”