stella1751
Greener Thumb

The Skinny on Squash?

I'm growing squash for the first time in many, many years. Prior to this, I grew squash twice, well over a decade ago. I can't remember how these work. Before planting, I researched trellises and decided on an arbor type for the front and tomato cages for the back. The squash plants, pattypans, are now three weeks old. (I got a late start this year.) I've been trying to decide how these things vine. They appear to be stacking, one leaf node on top of the next. Is this the squash's version of vining? If so, do I tie them to the arbor or cage or just let them lean against the sides as they rise?

splat42069

I don't think you are supposed to tie them to anything. Squash should be planted in a raised bed.

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Squash and cucumbers do well on trellises and it's a big space saver, because otherwise they take up so much space.. Here's a reference:

Trellising for Cucurbits (Cucurbitaceae)—Melons, Squash, Gourds, Pumpkins and Cucumbers: Most cucurbits can be trellised (except bush varieties). For any hanging melon, squash, gourd or cucumber larger than a hefty slicing tomato, you may want to tie a sling to the trellis and wrap it around the fruit to hold it secure. Panty hose or old rags work splendidly for this. Teepees, A-Frames, and fences do well for cucurbits; however, most trellis designs will accommodate these opportunistic plants https://www.wasatchgardens.org/Library/TrellisingHandout1.PDF

The plant will develop little vining tendrils to help it hang on. You may need to also tie it a little if it's getting heavy. Also the tendrils wrap better around thin things like twine, it can't grow up fence posts or stuff like that.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Thank you, rainbow gardener! I appear to be on the right track, then. I keep expecting tendrils to form, as they do on my cucumbers, and I was worried I had planned all wrong. I'll just give them more time :-)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”