crobi13

How are Your Boston Area Vegetable Gardens Doing?

Hi all!

I was wondering if there was anyone else here from the Boston area & how their gardens are doing? My Cukes are flowering lots but then the tiny baby cukes fall off with the flower after several days. They have been flowering for a few weeks now & I have not gotten a single fruit. :(
My tomatoes (Indeterminate, Big Boy's) started flowering a little over a week ago but I have not seen any fruit on those, not even little green ones. My Green Bell Pepper plant also started flowering last week but still nada from that, either.
Has anyone else seen this? Am I just impatient or is this a result of the terrible June we had? I think there were only 3 days of sun for the entire month of June. :(

rigardengal

Hi,
I'm in RI, so close enough to make comparisons. I have heard many people in and around the area complain about their gardens, getting off to slow starts, and their plants are not as big as they usually are this time of year, so, you're not alone. Don't give up.

Peppers like really hot weather, so give it more time. I know my tomatoes(big boy) have many flowers too, some fruits, but not that much. I cant help you with the cucumber situation.

My garden is actually flourishing and we've eaten pickling cukes, zucchini and summer squash(I posted pictures on another post), so something good is happening in this little corner of the north east! Try some miracle grow and perhaps that will give things a bit of a boost!

Good luck up there!

crobi13

Thanks, I'll give the Miracle Grow a try.

I found 2 tiny, baby tomatoes today. That made my day :D

Diane
Green Thumb

Things have been slow and all of that rain caused an aphid and huge slug problem.
Now that we've gotten some sun I've noticed my plants doing much better and they grew so much.
I have roma, cherry and early girl green tomatoes. My beefsteak only have flowers. I've harvested some med size potatoes. My cukes are flowering and I have some tiny cukes.
Only my peppers in a pot are doing well and have tiny peppers. The slugs ate the ones in my raised bed.
My garden always seems to be behind many others but it always catches up. Yours will too. It is cooler on the coast.
PS My raspberries are doing great. I'm picking lots every day. My blueberries are just starting to turn.

crobi13

I FINALLY have 2 small tomatoes & a few very small cukes. I'm very excited that my garden is finally producing fruit but I'm still worried that it's so far behind. I guess it's like having a small child all over again. :roll:

Diane
Green Thumb

Great. I know I hover over my garden. :D
Many of my plants said 60 days plus. I planted in May so I didn't expect them to do much until now.

crobi13

Diane:
I planted in May, also. I had been worried that maybe I planted too early but now that I'm seeing progress, I feel a little better.
Have you posted pictures? I'd love to see your garden :D

Diane
Green Thumb

crobi13 wrote:Diane:
I planted in May, also. I had been worried that maybe I planted too early but now that I'm seeing progress, I feel a little better.
Have you posted pictures? I'd love to see your garden :D
I have never put a pic on my PC. So.....I'll have to learn how to do this. I do have a digital camera so that should make it easier.
It was taking chances to plant in May when we kept hearing of late frosts, which did happen inland. I just couldn't wait and decided I would just buy more plants if I had to. :)

tbaleno
Newly Registered

This is my first year gardening so I have nothing to compare it to. There are lots of little green tomatoes and we picked a zucchini today. We planted corn, but I don't think it is ready yet. We have lots of ears that I hope get pollinated. Our sweet pepper plants have lots of medium sized peppers.

[url=https://www.mysimplehomegarden.com/garden/wp-content/gallery/outdoor-plants/outdoorgarden-2009-07-18.jpg][img]https://www.mysimplehomegarden.com/garden/wp-content/gallery/outdoor-plants/thumbs/thumbs_outdoorgarden-2009-07-18.jpg[/img][/url]

All I can say is that I'm not much into weeding (yes, the grass is about 2 feet tall in parts of the garden. Hey, plants grow in the wild without weeding, I figure they can fend for themselves ;)

crobi13

"This is my first year gardening so I have nothing to compare it to. There are lots of little green tomatoes and we picked a zucchini today. We planted corn, but I don't think it is ready yet. We have lots of ears that I hope get pollinated. Our sweet pepper plants have lots of medium sized peppers."
This is my first year, too. I just started having problems with beetles eating the leaves of one of my pepper plants. They only seem to like the Bell Pepper plant, they apparently don't like the Sarrano or Jalepeno pepper plants. Maybe the beetles don't like hot stuff? :lol:

tbaleno
Newly Registered

Arrg. found some beetle things in my corn... Disgusting. I threw the corn on the ground.

crobi13

Yesterday I found a slug among my carrots. Yuck! Between the beetle & the slug, I'm preparing for battle! :twisted: LOL

Diane
Green Thumb

crobi13 wrote:Yesterday I found a slug among my carrots. Yuck! Between the beetle & the slug, I'm preparing for battle! :twisted: LOL
A slug.
I finally bought sluggo. It works. I had hundreds at least in the grass. They would make a mad dash for the pepper plants at dusk. Especially if it was raining. And you know it rained almost every day.

crobi13

Does the Sluggo kill them or does it just deter them?

crobi13

Does the Sluggo kill them or does it just deter them?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”