nes
Green Thumb

Big Carrot Tops, Little Carrot Bottoms

I planted my carrots in mid-april (I know early, but we had a warm spring). The tops are now almost a foot tall, but the few carrots I've pulled up have been no bigger then 3" :( . I believe they are Red Danvers.

Any suggestions what is/went wrong? Or should I just be patient?

The garden is gravel/dirt under decomposed horse manure/dirt - I was expecting the carrots to grow funny if they hit the gravel, and I'm planning on putting on more manure/dirt for next year.

It doesn't REALLY matter - they are for the horses anyway :D but I was hoping to get some nice sized carrots this year.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Patience!

applestar
Mod

Easier said! :lol:
I've even gently pushed the soil aside at the base of the greens to check the carrot's diameter and only pulled ones that seemed good size -- only to be disappointed by immediate tapering to skinny root. :roll: Oh well, my carrots are mostly for the kids to pull, and they're thrilled by fingerings as well as the occasional big ones. :wink: Hopefully, they'll leave some to grow to full size. :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Feed your carrots plenty of Super Phosphate and Muratic of Potash. I hope your soil is loose with plenty of orgainic material and sand.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”