applestar
Mod

Zucchini and Squash grew overnight!

After a period of drought, we had a nice thunder storm and long soaking rain last night. Proof of drought is that the sidewalk where the water always puddles is barely damp despite a good 1"+ of rain.

But looking out the window, I swear all the curc's -- my zuke and crookneck plants, melons, mini gourds, etc. grew overnight! All the leaves look bigger and the zukes and crooknecks are more than halfway into the path. :roll: The zukes have started to flower -- 2 yesterday, 1 more today. Seeing some immature female flowers. Squash had 1 yesterday, possibly another today. Kakai pumpkins had flowers yesterday too. All the other melons have flowers. All above only males so far, but I wouldn't expect female flowers for several days at least. One watermelon has 2 melons -- about marble size a few days ago, yesterday, they were... hmm about 1" across. :D

Hoping to see all the seeds I planted recently popping up when I go outside -- armored for the horde of mosquitoes, of course. :?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sounds absolutely beautiful! :D But then there are those aircraft-sized mosquitoes.... :(

Enjoy all those nice veggies. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Applestar I know you The Helpful Gardener and cyntihia are the most outspoken at least as far as I have seen so far. But even though you should have great knowledge of gardening. I just want to confirm for you what you post title said. Yes plants will grow at night not just during the day. I do believe that this has been going on for around well, a while at least. It is not unexpected to wake up and have new growth. JMHO! :() :wink: :> :>

But really, it has been dry here as well. I have fought every urge to water too much. Looks like there is a super cell storm heading for us now it should be about an hour before we get an inch or 2 of rain. Than my crazy growing garden and yard will go into steroid mode, not to mention I just fertilized the yard and the garden. It's gonna be a grass cutting vegetable picking good time. :shock: 8)

Just went outside again feels like rain at any time. I say bring it I just love a crazy near tornadic storm. We do get some insane storms through here with LOTS of wind where I live. So hold and have fun. :D

Dono

:Edit: just looked at the radar man this thing is moving fast change that hour to 30 min and it looks mean. Of course I'm Barbecuing ribs today. So right about the time the storm gets here is about time I have to throw the ribs on. OH well it's not like I haven't barbecued through tornado sirens before. Okay I am a little nuts, you gotta love it. :twisted:

:Edit 2: sorry but just after posting this went outside it's already raining. BRING IT!!!!!

codyjp

I finally got around to planting crook neck and zuchinis last week. They have probably quadrupled in size in one week. I think there are some flowers showing up too!

splat42069

Thats awesome applestar! That storm lastnight hit us 2 and gave us 3 1/4 inch of rain and it really seemed to help out my garden also!

That storm hit us hard with rain and hail with 45-60 mph gusts. My plants this morning seemed like they loved that storm!
Anyway get some pics here apple, I wanna see your garden ;)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”