Rambo 09
Cool Member

Transplaning my Zuchinni

My Zuchinni is getting acually quite big now, the biggist leaf is about inches long now, I need to get it out of the planter box its getting to big. Can I still transplant it to a more fertle space?, also the place I want to put it, the dirt was so hard, but I got it churned up, it was standing water this after noon, I went back not to long ago and it was still pretty mucky, should I add some potting soil to the dirt, stir, water, and tranzplant tommorow? need all the tips I can get.

2cents
Green Thumb

This is tricky.
Do your very best to keep the roots intact with the dirt remaining on the roots.

Sometimes transplanting squash once it is too big, you can get it to grow, but it never produces female flowers.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Pull the male flowers and cook in butter or bread and deep fry.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck on the transplant. I took out 4 of my 8 cucumber plants and transplanted them only 1 survived.

But if the spot you are looking at has standing water in it that might not be a great place for you zuch's. If it is always flooded that might kill the plant in it's own right.

Dono

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I think ill do it tommorow, the soil was not mucky, it was just real dry, now its perfect.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck again and don't forget to put lots of compost in with it. Even if you have to get a bag of compost that will be great. Keep it moist (just how I like it, oh we were talking about something else) and it should do just fine, let's all hope.

Dono

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I did it this morning, it was not even that hard, after I got it out, I also grabed some of my starter soil and mixed it in with the dirt. Were I planted it, its raised so I also pored a good amount of water on each side of it to maybe help it out.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

well, I guess its a 50/50. After transplant, all the leaves witherd out, and the steems got mushy, so I strimmed it up, got away with all the dead stuff and have prepaird soil for more, one on each side of this one, this way it will grow into eachouther, also, its already starting to flower.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Flowering is good. I RIPPED out some cucumber plants this year and transplanted them. 2 at my neighbors who doesn't take care of them and they died very fast. 2 at a very fresh garden I did this year for blue berries and strawberries (and odd plants to grow) 1 of them is doing pretty good, with cuc's on it, the other died.

There is Hope! :D

Dono

p.s. do like your doing and trim every little dead or almost dead piece off it should come back. You wouldn't believe some of the lifeless plants I have brought back to life.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

Ya, today I was over there and I saw that most of the new growth I had going, all the edges of the leaves are starting to become saggy and not firm. oh well, its still flowering, it should do fine after I plant the two new ones on each side. ill send a pic tommorow of the plant. :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Gardening is sometimes a gamble so good luck.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

https://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=176982895&albumId=2054787

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”