rootsy
Green Thumb

Just a few July Photos

Mother nature hasn't been kind with the cool spring and summer... What may be "nice" for the human race sure doesn't help crops mature quickly.. Sweet corn is at least 2 weeks behind...

First sweet corn of the year is at tassel and should be ready to pick by Aug 1st.. This is a 74 - 75 day corn planted May 5.

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/Farming%20Photos/89ed8043.jpg[/img]

Pumpkins are up and doing OK at the moment... Had to patch in some earlier maturing varieties where skips occurred... There is one row of Dill Giant Atlantic growing in the first row of sweet corn. Most of the pumpkins in the photo are Conestoga Giant (IR Resistant), There are some Lumina (white) and some smalls sugar pumpkins (also IR resistant) at the end. Followed by the last sweet corn of the year and a stand of indian corn and gourds. Bout an acre total of just fall items...

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/Farming%20Photos/c3cc22cf.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/Farming%20Photos/3a7a8002.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/Farming%20Photos/23e9469d.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Rootsy,

That is a super nice garden. It actually looks more like a truck farm. That takes a lot of work to maintain with weeding, watering, harvesting and all. I have four, 4'X8' raised beds that minimize the work required, but still require a lot. I grow all my wife and I can consume over a season and still give most away to friends, neighbors, and kids. How do you use all your garden must produce? Do you freeze, can, preserve it all, or maybe a farmers market?

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looks nice that's about the size of my tomato garden. Okay mine is a little smaller or maybe a LOT smaller but just the same. :lol:

rootsy
Green Thumb

Have a road side stand as well as local farmers markets and a few small supermarket contracts. Also donate to the local food bank, feed myself and a couple of neighbors and family... Looking to expand next year.

The photos are but a small portion of what I have.

Weeding... I am moving toward becoming certified organic. It is going to be a long road if I get there at all. I am running into a real difficulty in giving up seed treatments and salt based fertilizers. But I am at zero herbicides and zero pesticides... I will be guaranteed zero herbicide this year... I will probably end up with some permethrin on the sweet corn to eliminate worms. Insect damage is unacceptable for contract produce.

The Super A and cultivator make weeding pretty easy. What I cannot get with the tractor I take out with the hoe...

[img]https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/Farming%20Photos/Picture728.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Rootsy,

I'm a city boy who grew up wanting a truck farm with a road side sales stall.

My favorite would have been an all fruit orchard with peaches, plums, pears, and apples. I would also have had a garden with perennial berry bushes, strawberries; and any other fruit I could grow.

My second favorite would have been an organic vegetable garden with multiple varieties of vegetables. One half of the garden would supply the sales stand. The other half would be a pick it yourself garden with established walkways and a good supply of five gallon buckets. I would sell the pick it yourself produce by the half bucket and full bucket.

Near the town where I grew up in North Texas, a family had a truck farm of about fifteen acres. The whole family, Pop, Mom, and the kids worked that farm growing and selling vegetables beside the road. They had a good life and all the kids finished with college educations. I always admired them and envied them.

I really like what you are doing.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice garden. Thanks for sharing the pics.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah like Ted said you are living the dream. I know it's a lot of work and I'm not scared one bit of work. I was just telling my neighbor today I wish I could till up my whole yard and use it as a garden. But I don't have but a subdivision type yard not 400 acres, that would be nice.

Diane
Green Thumb

Very nice Rootsy.
I agree, you are living the dream. Very nice of you to share also.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”