Trishla

starting a new vege garden

This is my first time trying to grow anything at all.
I am moving into a new house next september and at this moment the new location is under construction. I am however blessed with a huge backyard but alas there are lot of old trees in the back and few in the front of the house.
I would like to grow some fruit trees in the back along with a patch of vegetable garden.
What kind of vege can grow in this situation.
I am trying tomato and basil in containers this year.

nes
Green Thumb

Anything you want as long as you can find some sunshine :)

You should have a poke around at some of the BEAUTIFUL vegetable gardens people have in their backyards all over Toronto. The soil is delicious and many people have mature fruit trees.

I grew up in T.O and we did allot of container gardening when I was little because of our backyard being filled with trees. Peppers, herbs, tomatoes & strawberries.

If you're starting for scratch be proactive and start with a good strong fence or you're going to be a neighbourhood meeting place for the coons & squirrels :).

Trishla

I was wondering what happens to this vege garden in winter?

GitarooGarden

Several vegetables are sold as annuals, so when the weather gets too cold (first frost) they usually die off. There are several perennial options depending on your zone that will come back, and some that you shouldn't harvest until the second year, like some tubers, and asparagus, I think.

Usually the growing season will go from the last frost of the spring until the first frost of the winter, so you grow what you can when you can, and then spend all winter planning what you'll grow next year :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

GitarooGarden wrote:Several vegetables are sold as annuals, so when the weather gets too cold (first frost) they usually die off. There are several perennial options depending on your zone that will come back, and some that you shouldn't harvest until the second year, like some tubers, and asparagus, I think.

Usually the growing season will go from the last frost of the spring until the first frost of the winter, so you grow what you can when you can, and then spend all winter planning what you'll grow next year :)
Or plant in late summer or so for a fall\winter garden.

Trishla

What is the difference between growing vegetables in beds and growing them in rows.
Also what is the concept of growing vegetable in raised beds.

Thanks

GitarooGarden

Unless I'm missing out on some archaic, ancient methodology here, I think growing in rows is just an organizational aspect of vegetable gardening. No worrying about which plant is which, and lets you make sure each plant has plenty of room.

The benefits of growing anything in a raised bed is better drainage and better critter control. Especially if you put some landscaping tarp along the bottom of your raised bed before filling it with soil, it will keep burrowing animals from eating at your tubers and roots. Also, animals won't like eating your above-ground plants if they're raised up, out in the open, for all the predators around to see them. Also, even if you have the worst soil in town, you can build a raised bed and fill it with the best, without committing to a soil renutrification program for your entire garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”