I must have missed your other post; I was away over the weekend.
If you're using raised beds, you're probably experiencing what I did last year when I first established my Square Foot Garden beds.
These skinny, 2- to 4-inch tall mushrooms which were almost all stalk and very little "top" kept coming up. They grew incredibly quickly: when I made myself leave them for even 1 day, they just flew up in height. I pulled them and threw them into my compost bin.
I pulled some out, including their roots, and put them into a plastic bag. I drove to my local, (usually...) knowledgeable nursery and asked the classic question: "What is this
?!" The staff member said, "I can't identify the exact species, but it means your soil has lots of organic matter."
I said, "It had better
have 'lots of organic matter'! I just built that soil out of compost, peat, and vermiculite! So, is this mushroom toxic? Can I leave it in place? Should I remove them as soon as I see them, or what???"
Her opinion was that they could be left to themselves, as they die within a day or so in sunlight. So I quit going crazy about them and they *did* die quickly.
, I do not have small children or outdoor cats to explore such growths. My dogs just lay on the driveway "supervising" me whenever I work outside.
Someone here at THG posted a picture a few months ago of the exact type of mushrooms I experienced last year. If you need to, I could probably hunt it down tonight.
And now, in my second year of SFG, even though I renewed the compost component of my raised beds' soil, I have had no mushrooms. Guess it was just a one-time thing. Thank heavens....
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9