kylephez
Newly Registered

Southern California- My garden is stalling. Please Help.

PLEASE HELP!!!
My garden was planted about 4 weeks ago. (late I know) Everything seems to be stalling. My nursery plants grow faster and bigger than the ones in the garden. I have lots of corn, melons, squashes, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, spinach, lettuce and a few other items. Everything is moving VERY slowly. I thought the soil might be too hard so I loosened it and added some fish emulsion and a little bit of amend to soften things up. I did over water at about 2 weeks, The timer was unplugged causing a mini flood, I'm not sure if that did the damage or what. Does anyone know if I'm on the right track at all?

Thank You in advance.
Kyle

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Kylephez,

It may be the weather. The temps have been below normal with alot of marine layer in the morning. I'm in SoCal too but you being in HB probably get even longer lasting marine layer. Give it some more time... I suggest. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your trouble is you haven't paid enough attention to what needs to be planted when. Carrots, spinach and lettuce are cool weather crops, in southern california they should be grown in winter (late fall to very early spring depending on where in So. Cal you are).

The tomatoes it depends on where you are -- So Cal encompasses a pretty wide range of climates. I looked up Anaheim where I grew up and temps are in the pleasant low 80's, which your tomatoes should love. I checked Riverside where I once lived, closer to the edge of the desert, and temps were in the high 90's. If you are in that climate it is too hot for your tomatoes.

Here's a link to a nice schedule of when to plant what in zones 9, 10a, 10b (those are USDA hardiness zones, related to how cold does it get in your winter. you are almost certainly in one of those zones, you can look up a map to show you which one). https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule This chart is for planting seeds, but even if you aren't doing seeds, you can extrapolate from it to get at least an idea of when you want to be growing different crops.

codyjp

(I'm just north in Long Beach)

I planted a portion of my stuff (peppers and tomatos) in early June and things weren't going to fast for quite a while.

I then planted even more on the 4th of July (yeah, really late but I finally got the go ahead from my landlord...). The growth I've seen over the last week has been incredible compared to the first few weeks. I think the cool dominant marine layer was really killing us. Now we have sun until October at least so things will be good!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”