SarahSarah
Cool Member

Yellow Crookneck Squash Rotting on the Vine

Hi all,
I'm getting very frustrated with my yellow squash plant. The fruit is rotting on the vine. I've tried elevating the fruit so that they aren't touching the ground and I've made sure that the female buds are being pollinated, but they still rot away.
Any idea what may be causing this. It isn't affecting any of my other squash plants (I have about 6 more). Should I tear this plant out and let my other squash have the space?
Thanks!
Sarah

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Grubs perhaps? If it's not grubs than you can put mulch down underneath the fruit so it isn't touching the dirt. Man, we had a problem with pumpkins and squash rotting last year, but still got a good yield, it was due to grubs.

SarahSarah
Cool Member

I didn't see any grubs even when I cut open the fruit.

Right now the fruit are elevated off the ground, should I still use mulch?

I don't know why they are rotting, it is strange because it isn't affecting any other squash plant.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

When you use the term "rotting," it could cover several possible culprits:

Are the squash fruits rotting from the blossom end (the end farther away from the stem) back toward the stem? Is the rot brown or black? Does it begin in the center of the plant's stem end or on the side surfaces?

What condition are the stems of the plant themselves? How about the leaves?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm with Cynthias first guess, this sounds like blossom end rot (even with milk, fish, and occasional copper soap I have still lost some squash with all this rain). Rots from the blossom end of the fruit back towards the stems?

I have started removing blossoms early to help avoid the wad-of-wet-tissue-paper-effect they can have as they pass, a perfect fungal breeding ground. It has helped considerably, but do it gently, and if the squash doesn'y want to give up it's blossom easily, don't fight it, wait. It will come off easily when it's ready...

HG

SarahSarah
Cool Member

They are rotting from the center of the bulb (the fat part) out. I thought it was BER also, but it isn't rotting from the end. It is like they are just going bad. I'm going to go ahead and yank the plant.

I have 2 other yellow squash plants and just got a volunteer mexican zuc coming up, so I'm sure I'll survive :-) Or will I be over run by squash.... either way, that yellow crook is getting yanked today!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I hear you Sarah; not much return fussing with sick plants. Sometimes the very best move is disposal...

HG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”