Dave R
Newly Registered

Dying Jalapeno buds

I live in Mass. and I've got a good sized balcony garden. I've got 6 jalapeno plants, and all of them have started blooming. My problem comes in with the first plant that started blooming. The buds came out and the flowers started to turn brown in preparation for the pepper to form. As soon as the pepper started to form the buds fell off the plant. This has happened three times now on the same plant. I am waiting to see what happens with the others, but I'm trying to find answers. Any suggestions?

splat42069

my bell pepper plants did this same thing about a month ago. I figured it was from all the rain and lack of sun. Now they are starting to throw the bells out everywhere..

Have you had alot of rain there? if so just let them go and see what happens.

Dave R
Newly Registered

Well we've had a lot of rain, but since our balcony is covered I've been watering them. Perhaps I'm over watering? I have 6 plants and they all look extremely healthy, with exactly the same treatment. One plant appears to have exceptionally healthy and long stemmed buds. The buds that fell off were relatively small, and very short. Would over watering explain the fallen buds?

GitarooGarden

Hey Dave and Splat. I've got a combo pepper garden, and my habaneros are doing the same thing, although my jalapenos, and the rest, are all going crazy putting out peppers. I'm going to limit my watering, too, because I think I'm keeping them too wet. Are your affected plants' leaves turning yellowish, too?

Dave R
Newly Registered

Everything is green and happy with LOTS of buds. Just this pesky issue of dying buds. Not sure if it's just a bum plant or what.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”