gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Are my cucumbers too big?

I have some cuc's I planted than thinned quite substantially. They are still growing like crazy which is why I trimmed.

Still they are producing major cuc's actually I just got done trimming only to find about 6 cuc's I didn't even know were there. Some of them are frigging huge though not super long but fat as you know what. Maybe 2.5 to 3 inches across. Should I pull these or let them go green. They take so long to go green and I remember reading that when they get HUGE they don't turn out so well as well as slowing production for the rest of the plant.

One more thing it is said to pull them before they go to seed or get hard seeds or something. Cuc's get those little spikes on them should they be pulled before they appear or do those matter?

Thanks Dono

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

IMO cukes, squash, zucchini should all be harvested when fairly small, unless larger ones are needed for a specific purpose. Just a few large fruit will cause the production to start to slow.

applestar
Mod

I think you might be confused -- Cukes are typically green and spikey (with some white waxy coating) until they get to a certain size, then they get smoother and lose some of the spikes, THEN they start turning yellow. By that time, the seeds inside are developing hard seed coats and are not edible IMO.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

thanks for the replies.

Yes applestar I now realize they are suppose to have the spikes but I wasn't sure if they go white\yellow when they were young or old. Come to find out they lose the green when older. You know how cucumber plants grow it's hard to see them when they are young, or old for that matter being so hidden amongst the leaves. I guess I never noticed there young color before. LOL

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”