worldharmony

Funny you should mention that, Gary. I was planning to fertilize using a brush, then suddenly realized that despite the fact that the flowers look exactly the same (except for the gender) to me, the male flower is on my straightneck squash and the female is on my zucchini. I would be creating a straightneck zucchini or something.

worldharmony

Funny you should mention that, Gary. I was planning to fertilize using a brush, then suddenly realized that despite the fact that the flowers look exactly the same (except for the gender) to me, the male flower is on my straightneck squash and the female is on my zucchini. I would be creating a straightneck zucchini or something.

(Sorry for posting this twice. I can't figure out how to delete posts, despite the fact that the button says "edit/delete"!)

doubleduty
Newly Registered

I live in Magnolia Tx. which is in southeast Texas and close to Houston. I planted my Yellow squash back in April. Through the months I have received many male flowers but not a single female flower.

I have a similar problem with my Watermelons. I have loads of male flowers and only 3 or 4 female flowers so far. Right next to my Watermelons I have a row of Cantaloupe that is producing very well. I have lots of Cantaloupe growing and its just perplexing why my Watermelons and not doing the same. By the way I planted my Watermelon and Cantaloupe much later in the season in mid June. It is rare that we will get a freeze before December so I figured that I should be ok.

Adam26

I'm having problem not sure where you are all from I'm from UK my one squash plant is 5 ft tall got no female plants and other 3 huge leaves and growth just not f flowers

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gary, you say: "You stick a Q-Tip in the flower of the Hot Pepper then you stick it in the flower of the Banana pepper. This will make the banana peppers hot."

By this do you mean that the pollen falling on the anther will determine if the fruit is hot this year? Of do you mean that if you save the seed it will come hot next year?

I am having a hard time believing that this years pollen will have any effect at all on this years fruit.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Don't know what it is about me, maybe where I grew up, who my parents were, what I do for a living...but my zucchini plants have always put out the female flowers first. Guess I'm just a maverick in that regard. :)

After the first couple of years I finally realized that they were just going to shrivel and die because of not getting pollinated, so nowadays I pick them when they're about as big as my finger and put them in the salads. ( as long as I don't see any male flowers) I usually plant Black Beauty, and they are very prolific.

This year I wanted to try a grey zucchini that is advertised to be ready in 45 days, but I just don't have the room. Maybe next year!

Never really noticed if the butternuts do the same with the female flowers. I suspect they put out the males first. All I know is, my butternut vines are loaded with big beautiful green striped squash! Can't wait.

imafan26
Mod

I read somewhere that the weather may be to blame for the lack of fruit. Too hot, cold, or too much rain along with poor pollination can result in fruitless plants.

Adam26

So I've been checking daily and have finally found some female flowers just to at the moment
Attachments
image.jpg

Adam26

Female flowers at last
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Cross pollination has no effect on the fruit, only the seeds. I speak from experience as well as understanding of biology - I have acorn squash, delicata squash, zucchini, and pumpkins growing in the same patch, and they are surely heavily cross pollinated by bees, and I have never seen a mongrel (I have also never seen cross pollinated effect on any other fruits, including peppers.)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”