kylie77

Cement dust

We are enlarging a basement window. The job was started yesterday. It was pretty quick planning, and I didn't even think about the dust. Dust has gone everywhere. Lost of my plants have a coating of it now. I've looked up what is in cement, and from what I can find it looks like a mix of gypsom, lime, sand, etc... This won't harm my vegetables will it?

After all the care we took to protect them from the chemicals sprayed recently, I can't believe I didn't even think about this :(.

freedhardwoods

It won't be toxic to any of your plants, but any thick dust on the leaves won't allow them to breathe like they should. I would say just wash it off with a garden hose like any other dust. Do this in the late evening or early morning so the water doesn't sunburn your plants. If I was in your situation, I would just wash them off afterward rather than cover them up before. If it is just a sprinkle of dust, I wouldn't even worry about it. 8)

kylie77

Great! That's a relief! There was quite a thick coating of the dust, but I did hose off all of the affected plants last night and it came off quite easily. Once the messy work is finished today, I'll hose them off again.

Now just to clean everything else, and.... work on the dust inside! There was so much that our fire alarms had to be disconnected! lol But, at least now the window is in!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”