petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I saw a praying mantis!

It was only about an 1" long and it was eating what looked like an aphid among my swiss chard! I was excited cause it was the second one I've seen in my life--yippee!

applestar
Mod

Great! :D
I saw two babies this morning myself... "Oh, hello!" :lol: It's one of the best indicators that you're going organic and not KILLING your helpers. It's so exciting to see your garden transform into a HABITAT, an OASIS, a SANCTUARY... any other words we could use here? Oh yes -- COME ALIVE !!! :wink:

Haesuse

yea, I've got mantises galore. they're all over my peppers. ladybugs drop by throughout the day, too. I also have this crazy looking little bug that looks a lot like a scorpion, but only has 6 legs, and no stinger. they seem to prey on bugs, too, whatever the heck they are. oh, and garden spiders. lots of them. I love watching them weave. oh, and I apparently missed ONE of the cherry tomato eating catterpillars, as yesterday I found a split open cocoon on the underside of one of my plants after turning it 90 degrees. I guess he was the one who ate 5 of my tomatoes. god bless him...

I had to spray some soap solution a few times early in the year, because of all-of-a-sudden massive aphid breakouts, but, nothing at all for months now. it's awesome.

I keep aquariums, too, and most people hate snails in their tanks. I love them. they prune my plants for me. I have a ton of light on my tanks, and my aquatic plants grow like weeds, and if I didn't have snails helping me prune, I'd have to prune my tanks several hours a week. now I do it a few minutes a month...

ecosystems are neat.

freedhardwoods

There are several baby mantisses crawling around at work, but that place is the complete opposite of organic. They spray bug and weed spray all the time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”