2cents
Green Thumb

Growing asparagus from seed

Planted asparagus last year and they were all supposed to be male plants, but.........there are seed pods?????little round balls on one of the plants.
I believe these would be seed pods?

So how would you go about saving some seeds, when to pick, how to dry?

The neighbor wants to grow more asparagus and I am thinking we could grow from seed.

Anyone have experience with this?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Haven't done it but you can; you're talking about waiting at least four to five years for a harvest of any size, [url=https://urbanext.illinois.edu/veggies/asparagus1.html]but it's doable[/url]...

A bundle of starts is pretty inexpensive and will shave two years off your time...

HG

2cents
Green Thumb

:wink:
good point

I know a young guy who would like some and has time on his side.

Haven't opened one of the seed pods, yet. Has anyone looked inside one of those.

Also any suggestions about collecting radish seeds.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have grown asparagus from seed. I always bought the seed. I suppose you can save some from your plant.

It seems that if you plant from seed you can expect a small harvest at the beginning of the third growing season. Of course this assumes very fertile soil. Asparagus is a heavy feeder. Keep the weeds out, water enough, full sunshine and fertile soil makes it grow.

Good luck.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The radish has seed pods. When they are mature and dry, you can pick them and thresh them. I find it to be a pain. You can give it a whirl.

Have fun!

2cents
Green Thumb

Any recommendations on how deep to plant asparagus seeds

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”