momo
Cool Member

Gophers are attacking my garden!

Is there anything I can do? So far they've only taken out one tomato and one watermelon, as well as a bunch of flowers. I've heard you can trap them or flood them out, does anyone have any experience doing so? I need help!

cgiglio01

It may not be the prettiest solution, but chicken wire fencing will keep them out.
Good luck!

mikedebo
Newly Registered

I had a problem with groundhogs and went down to my local HomeDepot and bough a have-a-heart trap. There are multiple sizes, the squirrel/skunk size would work for gophers.
Bait it with some apple slices/strawberries glued to the trigger plate with some jelly or preserve and you'll catch them. Word to the wise, you can enhance the traps sensitivity by bending the metal latch that engages the plate.
Relocate them either far far away (so they can infest someone elses garden), or permanently, your choice.

-Cheers

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

momo wrote:Is there anything I can do? So far they've only taken out one tomato and one watermelon, as well as a bunch of flowers. I've heard you can trap them or flood them out, does anyone have any experience doing so? I need help!
Get a yard cat. My cat keeps everything out of the garden.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Gophers? Yep you need a cat.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

You can borrow my dog... he's killed about 6 of them so far this year, though they keep coming!!!!

jeff84

if you have any farmers nearby willing, or you can do it yourself.

get a tank of anhydrous ammonia (its fairly simple so long as you aren't doing anything bad with it) shove the high pressure hose in the hole, then open the valve. all the plants will get really green and the rodents will die

Farmerboy

I have pastures surrounding my garden and the fields produce a continual supply of gophers that come into my garden. I use Gopher flares and they really do work. And the Sulfur actually helps the plants by inhibiting the growth of harmful mildews and fungus in the soil. Purchase the Gopher Flares at your local garden center

Locate where Gophers are active, then carefully dig down until you find their tunnel. Insert the flare in the tunnel and light the flare, then cover with dirt. The flare will fill the tunnels used by the Gophers with Sulfur Smoke. The Gophers will abandon the area for some place that doesn't smell like Sulfur.

You may have to set flares in a couple of different tunnels on the opposite ends of the garden to fill all the tunnels with sulfur smoke, but it does work.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Farmerboy wrote:I have pastures surrounding my garden and the fields produce a continual supply of gophers that come into my garden. I use Gopher flares and they really do work. And the Sulfur actually helps the plants by inhibiting the growth of harmful mildews and fungus in the soil. Purchase the Gopher Flares at your local garden center

Locate where Gophers are active, then carefully dig down until you find their tunnel. Insert the flare in the tunnel and light the flare, then cover with dirt. The flare will fill the tunnels used by the Gophers with Sulfur Smoke. The Gophers will abandon the area for some place that doesn't smell like Sulfur.

You may have to set flares in a couple of different tunnels on the opposite ends of the garden to fill all the tunnels with sulfur smoke, but it does work.
When I was in High School 50 years ago my Grandfather had me digging holes everywhere to set off sulfur smoke bombs.. Animals ran out of the hole, run off and made new holes in a different place. It was a never ending battle to smoke them out. If you don't get rid of the animals some way they will always be there. Rat traps will kill gophers and squirrels but not larger animals, skunks, possums, ground hogs. Get 1 male cat and 2 female cat, in about 1 year you will have 60 more cats. Cats do not eat vegetables.

xtron
Cool Member

IMHO a cat is the best answer. preferably the kitten of a feral cat from a shelter or rescue center. they are more aggressive mousers than domesticated lines. I have one and she is hell on the rodents, up to and including opossums. they can be a little stand offish, but you are not getting it for cuddeling and lap warming.
second best would be a rat terrier dog. I have one of these too, and before she got too old, she would run the cat competition in the mousing department. she would also dig up moles, something cats just won't do. and small dogs are better lap warmers than cats.

webmaster
Site Admin

This member lives in Santa Rosa, a fairly suburban area. An outdoor cat may not be ideal because it will chase away birds. Then the member will have a grub and pest problem because there will not be any birds to eat them.

What works on a farm won't necessarily work in an urban yard.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I have never had a problem with gophers. I have had moles. They can tear up a yard or flower bed over night. A lot of work and destruction for such a small creature.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a friend with a Jack Russel's and Rat Terriers. Those dogs are extremely hyper full of endless energy like someone that just drank 15 cups of strong black coffee. He wanted me take care of his 2 dogs while he was on vacation. Those dogs never stopped moving from the time the sun came up until dark every day. They would run, run, run, run, run, then dig, dig, dig, dig, dig then bark, bark, bark. Run, dig & bark is all they did. Birds never had time to land in the yard the dogs were right there in 2 seconds. Good thing it was not garden season the back yard looked like a World War 2 bombed out place hardly a blade of grass left and holes everywhere. LOL. I wish I have a time laps video of that it was amazing. If you get a dog get 1 that is not so hyper.

I had a cat for 14 years she kept the garden free all animals. She would catch birds sometimes and eat them. She could hear molds in the ground and dig them up in just a few seconds. I lived in town for years and we had lots of birds. We moved out to the country we have fewer birds in the country and different birds. Cat still digs up moles it makes me mad I like moles, birds and squirrels. Cat had a stroke and died. Moles have multiplied, 2 squirrel families had 7 babies they use to be in the yard all the time but I have not seen the squirrels in 2 months.

I do not want a dog they all seem to love to dig holes especially young dogs. I did not want another cat but wife decided we need a cat. Now we have the cutest little cat you ever saw all she wants to do it play. In about a year cat will be a good garden cat. Lots of crime these days houses and cars all broken into at night in our area we might have to get a dog. Police say, best way to keep thieves away is a barking dog and motion detector lights. At the moment we have both but the dog is not ours that may be the reason thieves have not broken into to our vehicles and house. Something was stolen from our yard 3 days ago neighbor returned it today someone threw it in his yard.

HandiestHandyman
Newly Registered

Ultrasonic gopher repellent spikes worked for me. I tried smoke bombs and castor oil pellets and they just moved to other parts of my lawn. I got a set of 4 solar powered ultrasonic gopher and mole repellent spikes off Amazon and they did the trick. When I first set them up, I was discouraged because a couple mounds popped up right next to the spikes, but after a couple weeks, no new mounds appeared. I left them on a couple more weeks before turning them off, but a week later a new mound appeared so I turned them back on and leave them on unless we are entertaining in the back yard. They make noise about every 60 seconds, but it's not that bad. The Zebedee brand I bought actually has an on/off switch so you can silence them if you want some peace and quiet, just remember to turn them back on when you go inside (or at the first sign of new mounds).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”