wavewench
Newly Registered

Only Two Spaghetti Squash?

I planted my vine in early May, and it has done well. I have two well set squash. Other female flowers keep teasing me with promising swellings, but the darn things always end up withering and dropping off. I'm rather upset; I had hoped for more than two squash!

Is this to be expected? What can I do to change this and get plentiful squash?

Tinybu88les8

I cant answer yout question but I can relate on the excitement! Ive been waiting for spaghetti squash anxiously and I have my first squash right now. Its a little smaller than a computer mouse (only comparison I could think of) but its growing every day! YAY! :D

applestar
Mod

If the female flowers drop off, then they're not being pollinated. Not enough bees maybe? You can do the honors with cotton swabs or soft watercolor paintbrush. Pick up the pollen from the male flowers and transfer to the female flowers.

I showed my DD10 how to do this with the very first female cucumber flower in her garden. There was plenty of bee activity, but I wanted to ensure that her excitement at seeing the flower wouldn't be disappointed. The tiny cuke is now about 1-1/2" long. :D

wavewench
Newly Registered

I'm going to go try that right now. lemme go out and search for blossoms!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

If you have a lot of flowers by your squash plants, the bees will come. If no bees are present try to hand pollinate, with a q-tip. Just know the female flowers have the developing fruit.

wavewench
Newly Registered

Great. The past two mornings all I've found are male flowers. But I see some females on the way. My q tips are poised for action. I feel dirty, somehow.

applestar
Mod

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”