kylie77

Black and red bug

I was just out in my garden and spotted a big black and red bug with a huge 'stinger' on it's bum. I don't think I've seen one of these before. I immediately thought of the squash vine borer and went to look at pics of that. It doesn't look like this is what it is. The pointy stinger thing on it's bum was at least an inch long. Any idea what this could be? Could it be dangerous to my vegetables?

Unfortunately I don't have a pic :(.

Thanks

Haesuse

kylie77 wrote:I was just out in my garden and spotted a big black and red bug with a huge 'stinger' on it's bum. I don't think I've seen one of these before. I immediately thought of the squash vine borer and went to look at pics of that. It doesn't look like this is what it is. The pointy stinger thing on it's bum was at least an inch long. Any idea what this could be? Could it be dangerous to my vegetables?

Unfortunately I don't have a pic :(.

Thanks

most likely, not. very few insects that are going to harm your plants, also have large stingers. matter of fact, I can think of none. if the bug is subsisting off of plants, it makes no sense for it to spend tons of energy in growing a large stinger.

kylie77

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear! I sure would've want to get stung by it though. The stinger was way bigger than a bees!

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Bug or wasp?

kylie77

Well I don't know really. I've never seen anything like it before, but then I think I'm noticing bugs a lot more this year! lol

It was flying, was red and black, and had a huge stinger thing. That's about all I can say. I looked up red and black wasp and didn't see any images that looked the same.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”