Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

it's okra day!

We picked the first 12 okra pods this morning. This means in another day or so I'll be eating okra every night until October. We'll be picking corn in another week. Were down to 4 meals worth of frozen corn for 3 people. That is just about perfect timing on the corn. My drool runeth over.

Very soon, the only food on the table that we didn't grow will be tea and meat.

green~acres

Fantastic. I love that kind of meal where about everything comes from the garden. I ran out of corn.but we will be getting some before too long. Enjoy your meal.

applestar
Mod

I stopped by my favorite local herb farm stand and she was selling overgrown starts of Red Burgandy Okra in tall 2-1/2" pots for $1.75@. Gorgeous blood red stems, petioles, and leaf veins on green leaves. I could not resist so I bought 3 plants to try.

Never grew Okra before... What can I expect and how do you eat it?

My 9 corn plants (what can I say, it's an experiment/my token corn) are about 2 feet tall. I discovered today that my nemesis the slugs are eating THEM as well. Last year, I grew a whole bunch of Indian dent corn and had no idea what was causing the thread-bare leaves. I was blaming the itty bitty leaf hoppers. Now I know. :mad:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Applestar, my favorite okra recipe is fried. All winter we eat it pickled, in gumbo and in soup. It doesn't fry the way I fry it if it's been frozen.

Cut it into about 1/2" pieces. Pour enough vegetable oil into an iron skillet to cover half the skillet. Heat the skillet until it's really really hot. Test by dropping one piece of okra. If it sizzles and pops you're ready. Cover the pan in chopped up okra. Cook it until it's browned...nearly blackened is better. Salt if you must. Stir pretty continuously. When it's shrunk and browned, eat it. DON'T BREAD IT. That ruins everything. This is best done all alone because you wont want to share. :oops:

melissawho44

I have never thought of fixing okra that way I always breaded mine, but that sounds really good!!
Thanks for the Hot tip!!

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the recipe Charlie MV, now I can't wait for my okras to grow! :D

Doravilledawg
Newly Registered

I was kind of curious to see if anyone else ever tried this non breaded fried okra.

Thanks

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”