noodles777

hornets/wasps? good or bad? *pic

[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0728.jpg[/img]
these guys have been hanging out on my tomato plants and my bell peppers. They don't seem to care about my other plants like cucumbers, watermelon, onions, etc I've never had them before I don't particularly care for them but if they eat bad bugs they are welcome. BUT I did read about certain wasps that plant their eggs in the stems/roots of the plants and your plants seem to misteriously die. . please tell me this isn't them :( I can't seem to find their nest either, it has to be near by, I would assume.
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/NxOxOxDxLxExS/IMG_0726.jpg[/img]

webmaster
Site Admin

Wasps are predators. They eat the bugs that eat your plants. There is a critter that looks like a wasp whose larvae eat plants, but I'm not expert in telling them apart.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know that the wasp caused it, but the tomato plant is looking pretty unhappy.... Some kind of blight or wilt? (fungal diseases)

noodles777

yeah the branch it is on is a tomato branch that I cut off and threw in a pile of green scraps. that was the only decent pic of the wasp I could get. it moved too quickly from branch to branch on my actual tomato plant. I'm really worried it's a bad wasp that will hurt my veggies, I somehow manage to attract all sorts of bad bugs :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

oh good -- if that was a living branch attached to your tomato plant, I was very worried about the plant... glad to hear it isn't, though I still can't help re the wasp, except to agree that most wasps are not harmful in the garden (though some are harmful to people in the garden at times, re stings).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”