smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Bad seed?

I'm having problems starting lettuce. I heard it should be supper easy but I just can't get it to go. I tried last year and this year and almost nothing. I think I got 2 sprouts last year but nothing this year. I thought maybe the birds were eating the seeds so I created two pots and put them in my basement where I started my other seeds this past winter and still nothing. I've tried lots of water and little water. Putting the seed 1/4 inch down up to laying them on top.

Could it be that I have a bad batch of seeds? I have two things of seeds that I bought last year and basically nothing has come up from either one. It's driving me nuts since we eat so much lettuce each year it would be nice if I could grow my own.

rootsy
Green Thumb

I germinate seed by just making a slight impression with my finger tip or pencil eraser or somethign... not deep.. maybe 1/16 inch.. just enough to keep the seed from moving around. toss seed in depression and cover with pearlite. apply water and heat...

applestar
Mod

Yep. Lettuce seems to be one of those annoying plants that likes it warm 70ºF~85ºF (I.e. bottom heat) for germination, but like it cool (50~75ºF) to grow once sprouted. They also don't like to be too well covered to sprout.

For indoor starting heading lettuce, I sprinkled seeds on the surface and then dusted with white sand just to keep them in place, then used a clear cover to keep up the humidity until germinated (used holiday lights for bottom heat). For outdoor growing mesclun mix, I pushed a 1/4" deep trench with a straight stake, sowed seeds, then covered with finely sieved compost/sand mix until I couldn't see the seeds anymore (1/8"?) Hard part outside is maintaining moisture until the roots grow long enough. Bottom watered indoors. Outdoors, used the mist setting and watered GENTLY so as not to wash the seeds away -- twice daily until sprouted.

Now, it's too hot outside, but I'm going to try starting some heading lettuce inside for fall crop in a few weeks.

Oh, the bad seed thing -- I had a packet of mesclun that I kept trying without success... it was only 2 or 3 yrs old. You might want to try a germination test by sandwiching the seeds between damp paper towels in a rolled up plastic wrap or plastic bag -- put it on top of the fridge, check every day, keep moist, should have sprouted within 1 week. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Every year I have lettuce go to seed in the garden. Every year in the fall I till it all in along with the leaves. Every spring I have lettuce coming up volunteer. My take is, just ignore it, and it will grow. :)

I plant lettuce early in the spring right in the garden. When I have tried to grow lettuce after it gets warmer, it won't germinate.

Also, lettuce seed loses its vaibility in a couple of years. Get new seed.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Thanks everyone. I'll have to try that germination test with the moist paper towel.

I did buy some different seed that's also a different variety. We shall see. Maybe I'll just sprinkle and ignore :lol: You never know I guess.

applestar
Mod

If they DO sprout, you can gently pick them off with tweezers as soon as the radicles (tip of root) appear or cut/tear the paper towels around the seeds if root hair has entangled and plant them -- paper towel and all -- in moist seed starting mix. :wink:

BTW -- If you keep track of how many seeds sprouted out of the total number seeds tested, you can get the germination %.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”