jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Radish

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/radish1.jpg[/img]

Another reason to grow a garden.

Pebbles

Good gracious!

Some of those radishes look the size of apples. Have you tried any yet?

You could certainly display those over here at a vegetable show. I'm very impressed :D

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Quite lovely. Our temperatures have gotten too warm. We can still grow radishes but they get so peppery and strong flavored, will wait until the fall to plant the next batch.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

WOW I wish I could get mine to look like that. A lot of mine have been splitting. I think that's caused by to much water/rain. Which of course we have this year. It doesn't know how to just sprinkle any more. It's either 3 inches or no rain. :?

applestar
Mod

What a lovely bouquet of radishes! :D All it needs is a pretty ribbon. :wink:

My radishes have been splitting and/or bolting. I've been letting them flower for a bit for the beneficial insects and then composting them. Looking in my compost bin right now, with bolted/finished cool weather crops and lacey slug ravaged cabbages and lettuce, I really wish I could keep pygmy goats or rabbits at least to make use of the stuff. Oh well, at least they feed the compost piles. I do have wild rabbits that make the daily round -- this morning, there was one eating clover outside the New Kitchen Garden fence. As long as they stay outside the fence, that's OK by me -- they leave little presents that feed the lawn. :wink: But I put the raw compost ingredients in the enclosed plastic bin so the poor bunnies can't get at them. I do have the thought in the back of my mind that if I left that stuff out in the open for them, they'll get it in their heads that they can have the GOOD stuff inside the fence too. :roll: :x

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, some of these were quite large, but they were good. My wife ate the largest one and said it was "Hot".

I find that I can plant radishes any time from april to late August here. We don't often get much weather in the 90s though. It is a world apart from you folks on the eastern side.

I found a couple split ones too. We have been having much rain this season also. Nice sunny day today, but the temp started out at 48 degrees. Not really corn growing weather yet. Yesterday got up to 72.

My soil is high in clay content so I like to amend the soil with sand and peat in the radish bed, then plant seed every 2 inches. They need space for their leaves to gather sunshine. Radishes like full sun, and plenty of water. If they dry out they will bolt. My Mother-in-law said to pick them in the morning while the dew was on and they would not be as hot.

chefshelle

Wow! Makes me want to plant some of those beauties! Great job :D

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Those look good :). Still waiting on mine, should be about ready. I have those Asian watermelon radishes, daikon and some original red. Anyone heard of Spanish black radishes (black skins white insides), they get pretty big. I will throw those in after the other radishes are done, just curious if anyone has ever tried them.

Rambo 09
Cool Member

I sowed 5 long raddish seeds and only 1 sprouted, it is probably 1 inch in width, I started a few more, I wish I could just get them to start.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”