noodles777

thinking about buying praying mantis eggs

anybody have any previous experience with this, good or bad? I know they eat everything including each other and other beneficial bugs but I've never seen a butterfly or hummingbird or lady bug or anything nice in my garden just dang looper worms, aphids and other problematic bugs. I'm working on bird houses/baths but my garden is in an area where there really isn't aplace to put the houses no large trees around or anything so in the mean time I was gonna try out these guys. Just looking for some input

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I believe that if you incorporate diverse naturalized areas in your yard, that the number of beneficials that migrate in will be proportional to the extent to which your efforts provide various components to the system. Before starting that kind project in my yard, the numbers species was relatively low. The mostly grass yard area provides only minimal coverage where critters can eat, sleep, mate, and survive immature stages. It's homogeneous nature also only provides food and shelter for a few specific species. Now the yard has many vertical levels as well as lots of places that provide cover and food. The numbers and kinds of insects has literally exploded over the past three years and that is without buying or bringing in a single critter. "Built it and they will come."

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”