LovesToCook08
Newly Registered

I think something is eating my beet leaves....

Hi
I have planted my first vegetable garden and it appears something is eating the leaves of my beet plants. I planted these from seeds so they are still very young... it think the term to use is sprouts.

Does anyone know what could be eating my beet leaves and is there anything I can do about it?
thanks
Jen

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would help to have more info (pics are always good). Is it just little holes in the leaves? Big holes in the leaves? Leaves disappearing? Anything else you've noticed? When it happens? etc

LovesToCook08
Newly Registered

I'll take some pics tomorrow. The leaves on some are completely gone.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Slugs and snails attacked my beet leaves last year and again last fall. Take a look for them at night, esp. underneath leaves/plants. A flashlight is your best friend in this situation.

This evening would be a good opportunity; the moon is waning, so it will be dark for several hours after sundown with no moon. (I have a hard time getting the focused flashlight beam that I want when the moon is full.)

If these are your culprits, well....:twisted:...we have LOTS of advice on how to deal with them. (evil laugh...)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

LovesToCook08
Newly Registered

Well I went to take some pics and nothing was left except for about 1/8 inch of stem sticking out of the ground. :(

I'll plant some more seeds. I bought some seeds for a heirloom variety.

thanks!
Jen

mccolgan1

at the begining of the season somthone tore through my pea, beetroot and
radish growbags I lost almost all of them most were chewed overnight I eventuly found the slugs and sourunded my bags with slug pellets. for the next few nights all I found was goo where the slugs had melted since my plants have not been affected I think they know now and stay away.

today I planted out 5 pea plants ( due in part to aphids I didnt want to infect my tomatoes with them) and put a wall of pellets round lol I went over the top but if these get eaten I dubt I will have much of a crop left. I don't think theres time to replant.,

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have often had newly emerged plants nipped off by bugs. It seems that cabbage and broccoli are prime targets. The bugs love those things and will eat them even before they emerge. The thing to do is to powder the area at planting time. There are several things you can use. Check with your garden store. I won't suggest a product, but leave that choice up to you.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”