Drumopelli

Ladybugs... Really?

I just have a small pepper (30 species) and tomato garden going. My plants seem very healthy. However, I've read a lot of posts on this site about this bug or that bug eating plants (pepper plants). I haven't seen any aphids but I have found black ants and caterpillers. So the question is: Should I buy some ladybugs as a precautionary measure?

I found a site that sells 1,500 ladybugs for $6.99. Is that a good price?

Do the ladybugs come as is, or do you have to pay extra for cybernetic enhancements and weapons, I.e. targeting systems, CPU's, miniature armor, lasers, machine guns, heavy artillery, etc.? If I'm gonna get ladybugs, I want cyborg enhanced, trained, and heavily armed killers (terminator ladybugs). How many do you have to buy to get the free lady bug tank and arial support option? Can I define my own rules of engagement for my lady bug terminators or will they be charged with war crimes? These are all very valid and important questions for the 21st century gardener.

OK... the last paragraph was bogus... just wishful thinking.

What about purchasing preying mantis? Is that a good option? Ladybug vs. preying mantis: Is one better than the other. Are both good, or would they eat each other?

Hope I made you smile. But still appreciate your opinions on ladybugs.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Ants don't do anything, they are everywhere no matter what.

For caterpillars buy B.t. pesticide. It is a bacterium that kills caterpillars.

You said that you don't have aphids so buying ladybugs would be a waste of money, They would fly away the first day.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

TZ's right about the lady bugs. I've heard they only stay around as long as theirs food. So no alphids no lady bugs. The praying mantis I've heard stick around and will find other things to eat. If you want to be proactive then I would go that route.

BT will kill the caterpillar. If you saw my post under what's eating my pepper plant I'm going to try corn meal on other caterpillars (cabbage worm). I'm not sure I'll be able to fine BT around my area but I haven't looked. Other time I've tried to go natural/organic I've had a hard time finding anything with in reasonable driving distance.

webmaster
Site Admin

You might want to experiment with planting bee friendly plants, usually flowers that are native to your area that can support the local bee hives. There have been studies that show the sound of bees inhibit caterpillar activity. It sounds a little off the wall so I asked my urban garden friend about it, since his farm features a bee hive he built for the local bees. He stroked his chin and squinted his eyes thinking about it and said, "You know, I've never had a problem with bugs eating my plants."

Another route to take is to encourage the local bird population by placing bird baths in your yard. Attract birds for a drink of water and they can hang around for a meal, too.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

The birds don't see to help with the cabbage worm :( We have a million robbins and all I see them eating is my earth worms from my garden. :evil:

annafaie
Cool Member

Drumopelli - you made me laugh :lol:

tiny1

Being somewhat new to Organics, I am no expert, but I would watch the ants. It has been said that they "farm" aphids, going as far as moving them from plant to plant. They like the sugary secretion that aphids produce.
The only damage(*knocks on wood*) I have sustained this year, was from flea beetles. Minor at best, and I have my beds on the edge of the woods. Homemade soap spray worked great for me.
Check the undersides of the leaves for bugs and/or eggs and spray accordingly.

Drumopelli

Thanks for the advice people.

The black ants are very small and seem to be gathering nectar. I still haven't seen any aphids. My father said they were probably harmless.

There are a few spiders among the peppers which I will let stay there. Hopefully they will help control pests.

I also have 3 or 4 lizards that meander around the plants which will live as long as the dogs don't see them.

Yeah... I had one caterpillar 4 days ago. I found another yesterday on a different plant. I found 12 today on a tomato plant. They ate everything off the top 8 inches. I plucked and killed them. I've looked through all the plants and haven't seen anymore, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to use BT on all the plants now.

The caterpillars were/are called green horn worms (they aren't worms) and come from the Sphinx moth. It seems they love tomato plants. They are very hard to see eventhough they are quite large. If you live in the southwest, you might want to check your tomato or pepper plants, especially under the leaves on the stem.

How long does it take BT to work? Will it harm other insects or the plants?

:(

applestar
Mod

smokensqueal wrote:The birds don't see to help with the cabbage worm :( :evil:
In my garden, paper wasps and another narrow-waisted wasps ... maybe potter/mason wasps ... constantly inspect every leaf of cabbages, broccolis, and cauliflowers. This morning, I watched one stop wherever there was a little hole in the leaf, and touch its antennae all around it before moving on. I don't think the cabbage worms have much chance of escaping their notice. 8)
Drumopelli wrote:Yeah... I had one caterpillar 4 days ago. I found another yesterday on a different plant. I found 12 today on a tomato plant. They ate everything off the top 8 inches. I plucked and killed them.
If you've found that many tomato hornworms, be sure to check that they're not carrying braconid wasp cocoons or parasitic fly eggs on their backs and/or heads before you kill them, or you'll be destroying the next generation defenders of your garden. :wink:

noodles777

Your post was fabulous, I love your humor 8)
I am trying to decide to go w/ lady bugs or praying mantises. Lady bugs stay as mentioned before only if there are plenty of aphids. Praying mantises eat everything, good bugs, bad bugs, including each other so you don't wan to get both lady bugs and mantises. Also mantises will even eat larger things like lizards and even humingbirds (but I doubt they would stick around long enough to get big enough to do that). For me I have pretty much no good bugs I've never even seen a butterfly or bird around my garden just freakin looper worms, aphids and other bad bugs so I'm thinking about getting mantises but sill havent decided. Also for lady bugs if you release them later in the day they won't fly away (they only fly in the day time when the sun is out) they will find places to stay and you can even store some in the fridge and release them a few days later.

donworden
Cool Member

Why don't you go out and just get and arm a toad.... We have 5 of them flitting around my garden just going to town eating the insects... Now if I could keep the dang dog from bothering the toads.... 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”