pensacola jim

Powdery mildew

What can be done to avoid it, and what is the main cause of it

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Powdery mildew is a fungus. Wet conditions and lack of air circulation help it thrive, but some plants are just very vulnerable to it--my bee balm and lilac shrub always have it, when nothing else does. It helps to look for resistant varieties when you are planting.

There's been a lot written in this forum about it already. Try typing powdery mildew in the search box in upper left of most pages and you will find all of it. But two of the most commonly recommended remedies are a spray of organic milk (1:10 milk to water) and a baking soda and water mix.

pharmerphil

rainbowgardener wrote:Powdery mildew is a fungus. Wet conditions and lack of air circulation help it thrive, but some plants are just very vulnerable to it--my bee balm and lilac shrub always have it, when nothing else does. It helps to look for resistant varieties when you are planting.

There's been a lot written in this forum about it already. Try typing powdery mildew in the search box in upper left of most pages and you will find all of it. But two of the most commonly recommended remedies are a spray of organic milk (1:10 milk to water) and a baking soda and water mix.
very good answer Rainbowgardener...
The milk solution, can even go up to 50:50 if needed, no need to worry it's milk.
I must say that milk has worked for Me even on tough customers like Monarda (bee balm), lilacs and Pumpkins (on the mass of pumpkin vines/leaves I did go with a 50:50 milk/water mix)...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”