applestar
Mod

Hi kylie77 - I've been "listening in" with my fingers crossed for you. Checked in today and was really glad to see that the spraying company did pay attention to your concerns and you were able to avert the worst of it.

It sounds like YOU got their attention. Now perhaps more awareness and consciousness will be raised and things like this can be prevented in the future. Good for you! :clap:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Since it sounded to me like the spraying decision was a done deal, didn't think of the proactive activist strategy. Am glad that worked to some degree. Old saying, ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure comes to mind. Am happy for you and your outcome. Maybe your concern will generate some dialog on this issue. Perhaps at some point fear of law suit related to health issues may give the grounds managers a further reason to reconsider their decision to spray so aggressively.

kylie77

Thanks guys. It definately sounds like this has at least got people thinking that's for sure. A woman on the cousil lives RIGHT behind me. She saw my efforts to keep chemicals away from my plants and said 'good for you for saving your plants'. She had thought that they were only spraying the trees here, and was surprised to see the company spraying everywhere. She's not at all happy either with chemicals being used. Between her and the manager I feel confident this won't be taken lightly in the future. I also saw a bunch of people running up to the sprayers and saying 'don't spray my yard'. So I KNOW I'm not the only one bothered by it all.

I'm not at all upset with the company who did it because they were booked to do a job, and did it. I was quite happy with them for calling first thing and wanting to know where I lived so they could avoid my garden. At VERY least everyone here should be able to at least be able to control what is or isn't sprayed around their own property. We do have pests like the pine beetle here etc... maybe that's what the spray was for? I still don't know. That's the worst of it, not knowing anything about it. I had to assume this spray was very dangerous and was meant to kill everything since I didn't have any info. At least I know I did what I could to keep my plants safe. People probably thought I was overreacting when they saw how much effort I went into protecting my food! But, I'm not about to eat some unknown chemical. Isn't that what we get from the grocery store? I at least want to know my own garden is free from that junk.

Drumopelli

Prolly too late a response (I'm new). Were they spraying for weeds or for pests?

Spraying for pests is bad... or not. Spraying for weeds (like a ground clear kill everything type) would anger me greatly.

I assume you live in a place where "spraying" is considered a benefit or a service. If I lived in a place like that, I wouldn't allow it. Even as a tenant, you still have rights... rights to forego the "service". I would have supervised the spraying and told the workers where they could and could not spray.

However, if you are a renter, it isn't your land and you don't really have much say (you can request however). You would think that most places would honor your requests.

Just sayin', if it was me, I'd have raised bloody he**. I would also think that as a tenant, any chemicals or used would have to be fully disclosed to the tenants as a matter of law.

kylie77

They were spraying for pests. Some pests I don't want around, but I would've liked to be much much more informed as to what they were using, and what pests they were spraying for, also more notice.

I livei in a townhouse, and I do own it. We have a 'strata' though so certain things we have to obey. We have to keep our outside areas clean and to a certain standard. If we don't we get a fine. They take care of things like mowing the grass and the grounds etc... So in that way I guess they make those sorts of decisions. I can't control what they spray or where they spray it around my house. I did control if they came on my property. Since the properties are joined though I was very concerned about the amount of spray that would drift over to my place. That's why I covered everything. I only knew they spraying was happening a day and a half before it did. I wouldn't have even known that early except our manager was kind and knew about my gardens and told me as soon as she was told. I called the company (only knew who was doing it because the manager told me that as well, but it wasen't common knowledge), I wanted more information but couldn't reach anyone. They were good though and called me at 7:30am the day they were spraying to ask what unit number I was in. They said they wanted to make sure they didn't spray anywhere near my gardens. To their credit they did stay a fair distance from my property. Didn't even come down our row in the front or back. So I can't fault the company that did it because they were asked to do a job and they did it. It's the company that runs our townhouse complex I have a problem with. They shouldn't be making these decisions for us. I am pretty certain there are only a few people here who have any edible gardens at all. All I've ever seen are a few tomato plants here and there, and one rhubarb plant. I think I'm the only one growing as much as I am. We have a very small amount of space to work with, so I wouldn't think most people would think about growing vegetables.

The problem isn't over yet though. I heard from another person living in the area that apparently the company doing the spraying sprayed for the wrong thing, and needs to redo it. I have to verify this with the manager. My plan of action is to find out if it's true, and then get all the information from the company doing the spraying. I will then make up a flyer to put in everyone's mailboxes telling them what I know about the chemicals used, the dangers etc... so people are informed.

I can't say that the spraying wasen't needed. I've seen that we have some bushes completely covered in webs, and these webs seem to be killing the bushes. So maybe it was something that was nessisary. My problem is not having the information, and not being given a choice.

The manager told people that the spray was completely 'safe' and 'non-toxic'. I don't believe that for a second though. Especially when I saw the people doing the spraying. They were wearing full protective clothing, and masks. If it was THAT safe then whey would this be needed?

Drumopelli

Well at least they were spraying for pests. Good, yet good, yet not good, but shouldn't have too much impact on your plants. I would have hosed the chemicals off the plants right after they sprayed (Dilution).

Sounds like an HOA (vomits). It's your property but some association has various rules which you must abide by because you signed a piece of paper (Grrrr!).

When I originally responded, I thought it may have been weed control (and that would have irked me). My point is: Chemical sprays for bugs, though less than cordial to plants, is far from spraying Ortho ground clear on your plants for weed control (which would have killed them completely and outright).

You have a right to be concerned about spraying. What if they do implement a weed control spraying in the future... without your notice?

In terms of your plants... they'll prolly be OK (wash before eating though less you grow ten heads and start speaking strangely). However, the good insects were decimated in the process as well (Grrrr... foaming at mouth... kicked my dog).

The "spraying" company at least seems to be divulging everything. This is prolly cuz they have to by law if and when asked. But yeah, I'd write a nasty or firm letter to the property managers about disclosure and your rights.

Good luck. Have fun.

urban farmer
Newly Registered

I just found this topic today and couldn't resist.

It sounds like to me that they are spraying because that is what they have always done. That in itself drives me crazy since most of us know that synthetics are not good for much of anything. Maybe your efforts will convince them to change from the old habits.

I hope you can find out what the chemicals are that were being used and possibly what the "target pests" are/were. And then maybe you can begin to educate those in charge that there are alternatives to what I would imagine are synthetic sprays. If they were "safe" like they said then I would think that they would be promoting that not trying to keep from everyone what the sprays are.

Or maybe convince them to not do anything. No spraying, fogging, etc. and let nature take back over and do what it does. It will take some time, and sure there may be some plant loss or damage, but the affected plants probably need to be replaced anyway if it is that bad.

Or perhaps the introduction (re-introduction rather) or beneficial insects could eliminate problem pests quite quickly and could/should solve the problems.

Unfortunately, you will first have to educate them, and second convince them to give it a try. Perhaps if you can rally enough support from other residents you can make it happen. I am sure you are not the only one with those concerns, but you are the only one that was willing to take action.

Good luck!

Matt

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”