Budlite1944
Newly Registered

watering bells

How often does a bell pepper plant need watering ? I was watering the same time I watered my tomatoes which is in the same location in the garden . They seem to wilt and die . My tomatoes are doing ok , just a little small . :oops:

Thanks

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have very sandy soil and have always found bell peppers to be a challenge to grow in that soil. Several years ago, I moved my bell pepper effort to three or four gallon containers with synthetic soil, and the results have been great. How often to water? They should stay slightly damp but not soggy at all. I think that the root system is slower to develop in peppers than in tomatoes, so would guess that the tomatoes may be able to continue absorbing adequate water from the soil, longer than would be the case for bell pepper plants. On the other hand, tomatoes have greater top growth and softer foilage and transpire more rapidly, so the are perhaps less likely for the soil to get and stay overly wet. Sorry for so little help of contradictory nature, but that is all I have, mostly a bit of speculation. A few container plantings IMO are worth a try.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”