kylie77

zucchini pic, is this the start of a female flower??

I've never grown zucchini before. I have Gold rush zucchini growing. I have had a few flowers so far and am assuming they've all been male, although I really don't know. I've noticed small yellow stems growing amongst the rest in the last few days. Is this how the female flowers start? Or is it the start of small zucchini??? Would be thrilled with either!

[img]https://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/vegpics/IMG_3031.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/vegpics/IMG_3032.jpg[/img]

Sorry for the terrible pics, I hope you can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

kylie77

I've been looking about online and think I've figured it out! Am I right in thinking that this is a female flower bud, and the yellow 'stem' is a mini zucchini. If the flower isn't polinated than that fruit will just shrivel up and die, but if it is polinated than it will grow into a zucchini? I'm excited now! Think once the flowers open I'll help out with the polination just in case! That plant has 8-10 of these on it, so I'm hoping I'm not long away from my first home grown zucchini!

zstokes85

You are correct. If your flowers get pollinated, you will have the zuccini behind it start to grow. Congrats! I know its exciting, I went through the exact same thing 3 weeks ago and now I am FLOODED with them... By the way, do you want any? J/k

kylie77

lol, well with any luck I'll have my own soon! I'm not worried about getting too many since I only have 2 plants anyway. I can try out all sorts of new recipes, and if there's still too much I'll head down to the food bank with the excess! Oooh, I can't wait!!! :)

momof4rugratz

how long after the flower is pollinated. I was just told zucchinis are fast growing.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”